Unable to download using IE9

I have a client PC, Windows 7 x64 Pro, with IE9 installed. The user is unable to download files with IE9. As a test I installed another browser and was able to successfully download anything.

Things tried:
  • Uninstall and reinstall IE9;
  • verified download is enabled within IE adv settings;
  • removed index.dat and had Windows rebuild it on reboot;
  • emptied out temp Internet files;
  • reset IE9 to factory defaults;
  • disabled all add-ons in IE9 - no help;
  • upgraded to IE10, downloading didn' work, downgraded back to IE9;
  • User account is standard, but tested with elevating it to local admin with no luck;
  • downloading with IE9 works with different domain account on same computer.

Sounds like something is wrong with the user's domain account but I'm hoping to fix this issue instead of deleting and re-setting up the profile.

Any ideas?

Example 1: when the user is in her Yahoo mail which has a PDF attachment. Yahoo shows the icon for an attachment, she clicks on it, Yahoo virus scans it and then nothing happens - where as normally IE would then flash a yellow/gold box at the bottom of the windows asking the user to open/save/cancel the download.

Example 2: The user goes to Adobe's site to download Acrobat Reader. Page shows the start of the downloader loading the file then nothing happens.

Example 3: User goes to download IE9 installer package from Microsoft. She picks her language and OS then clicks the download button but then nothing happens.

No errors are shown within IE9. Nothing is noted in the Event Log.

Does right clicking on a link and selecting 'Save target as...' bring up the browse file dialog box? If no, is it behind the window (try alt+tabbing)?

Might want to give ProcessMonitor a shot, too.

Filter the results to only show entries from iexplore.exe.
Uncheck all activity but File System Activity.
Launch IE and go to a page with a link to a download.
Start the capture.
Click on a download link in IE.
Stop the capture.

Then Ctrl+F and look for the file name of the download. Look for any entries where the result column says Permission Denied or something to that effect.

I have a hunch that there is something wrong with the permissions for either the Content.IE5 folder or the equivalent Low folder if you have UAC turned on.

ProcessMonitor is a good idea. thx

I'll also double check the Content.IE5 folder permissions tonight after she leaves for the day.

Thanks, again. Eager to try those ideas out.

Looks like the user shut down the computer for the long weekend. I'll pick this up again on 7/8.

Might want to give ProcessMonitor a shot, too.

Filter the results to only show entries from iexplore.exe.
Uncheck all activity but File System Activity.
Launch IE and go to a page with a link to a download.
Start the capture.
Click on a download link in IE.
Stop the capture.

Did that process with Process Monitor and it captured nothing. Trying a few more things...

One thing of note. When I'm looking for Content.IE5, it *should* be in:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\

but the above path is completely empty. UAC is disabled.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Content.IE5 is in there but you have to show protected/system files in Explorer.

If you see nothing when capturing it's most likely because you either misspelled 'iexplore.exe' or didn't choose Process Name as the filter.

Another instance where the issue is possible is when the user's local profile is corrupt.

Content.IE5 is in there but you have to show protected/system files in Explorer.
... did that

If you see nothing when capturing it's most likely because you either misspelled 'iexplore.exe' or didn't choose Process Name as the filter.
... nope. Spelled correctly and did select Process Name as the filter

Another instance where the issue is possible is when the user's local profile is corrupt.
... which is where I have my bet.

I'll rebuild the profile and go from there.

Back