• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Unable to Display 1280*1024

John G.

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 28, 2005
Messages
163
I've recently purchased a new system that uses the SiS760GX (it was a tightly budgeted system), and have encountered an interesting problem that I'm not sure how to solve.

When I first installed Windows, I was able to set it to 1280*1024 (the desired resolution) just fine, but the display would occasionally blink off and on, so I installed the IGP drivers from the motherboard CD. The blinking has stopped, but now when I try and set it to the desired resolution, it keeps 1024*768 resolution but extends the desktop "off the monitor," where the desktop is actually bigger than what is shown on screen and you can scroll around it using the mouse. Do you know what I mean?

I'm looking for a way to get this display at true 1280*1024... since it can do it without the video drivers, I'm lead to believe it's a software issue, rather than hardware. I downloaded newer IGP drivers from SiS' website, however, and that didn't change anything.

Do you guys have any advice? Suggestions to buy a real graphics card not appreciated. ;)
 
Either you have to adjust your monitor (using the controls on the front of it) or you have to disable multi monitor mode (whatever its called).
 
Okay now it's blinking occasionally at 1024*768-- I really don't know what's going on. There is no multiple monitor setting active, and the controls on the monitor don't have anything to do with resolution settings. There is an informational display on the monitor, and even when set to 1280*1024 in Windows, the monitor still reads 1024*768.

Any advice? Thanks.
 
"and the controls on the monitor don't have anything to do with resolution settings"

I know that, but you said that it was making the desktop go off the monitor and that usually has to do with adjusting the monitor manually.

Just trying to help :)
 
What's your refresh rate set at?

The blinking (flickering?) almost sounds like a power supply problem in your monitor. Does your display get blurry occasionally?
 
Shmuckety said:
I know that, but you said that it was making the desktop go off the monitor and that usually has to do with adjusting the monitor manually.

Just trying to help :)
Yeah, no worries. :) But I've been over the menu pretty closely, and didn't find any adjustments that would make a difference. I'm just at a loss is all.

DNA Doc said:
What's your refresh rate set at?

The blinking (flickering?) almost sounds like a power supply problem in your monitor. Does your display get blurry occasionally?
The refresh rate is at 60Hz-- I can set it higher, but it seems to find a way back down to 60Hz after reboots and the like. If it makes any difference, the SiS graphics control panel seems to think it's a CRT, and won't let me select LCD. Also, the screen isn't blurry, per se, but sometimes it's like there are little glitches in the image, like text distorts momentarily.
 
It might help to visit your monitor's manufacturer on the web and get the drivers for the monitor. Then, go into 'install new hardware' and install the monitor. If it doesn't do it automatically, then go into Device Manager and update the drivers directly. That should fix the monitor identity crisis.

For your SiS chip, what utility are you using to adjust the res/refresh?

The distortions and the flickering is still sounding like a power problem in your monitor. Are you getting color disintegration?
 
DNA Doc said:
It might help to visit your monitor's manufacturer on the web and get the drivers for the monitor. Then, go into 'install new hardware' and install the monitor. If it doesn't do it automatically, then go into Device Manager and update the drivers directly. That should fix the monitor identity crisis.

For your SiS chip, what utility are you using to adjust the res/refresh?

The distortions and the flickering is still sounding like a power problem in your monitor. Are you getting color disintegration?

Downloaded and installed the monitor's drivers, but it didn't solve the resolution problem. The distortions/flickering are very infrequent at 1024*768.

To adjust rez/refresh, I'm just using the Windows XP controls.

Color on the monitor seems fine though.. any other way to test the monitor's power supply?
 
Does your computer now recognize the monitor as being an lcd, now that you have the drivers?

Without me actually being able to see the issue, its hard to speculate. Have you tried another monitor?
 
Back
Top