• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Unable To Create Container - Poweredge 6400

rosco

Gawd
Joined
Jun 22, 2000
Messages
722
I purchased some 36gb seagate drives to add to my Dell poweredge 6400. I set the scsi address and plugged them in and powered up. The are recognized when I go into Dis Utilities->and then select the channel. However, when I select one to erase it or to verify disk media I get a error. It comes up as:

Unexpected SCSI command failed
sense key: 03h - medium error
+sense code: 31h
+sense code qualifier: 00h

When trying to create a container, none of these drives show up as being available to add to the container. What am I doing wrong?

It has a Perc2 raid controller.

Thanks.
 
Have these disks been formatted?

That sense code/ASC/ASCQ comes out to an error of "MEDIUM FORMAT CORRUPTED" according to my SCSI spec.

That sounds to me like the drives need to be formatted. Have you tried that?
 
I'm in the perc configuration when I get that error trying to format or as the perc controller phrases it "erase disk." I'm supposed to be able to select a disk then have another menu come up with erase disk or verify disk media as the two options. Once I select the drive and click on either erase disk or verify I get that error.

Could it be the termination? I'm rather new to scsi. I have the controller set to auto and the drives are all being recognized.

My two original drives are being recognized properly. So, I know the controller is working.
 
I asked seagate about the error and they said that the drives I purchased (I knowingly bought them used) were oem. They said often, a manufacturer puts firmware on the drive and it will only work in a system that matches the firmware.

So, is there a way to flash the oem drives back to manufacturer firmware? I've tried the one from the dell website and it didn't work.
 
Back
Top