"unable to contact DHCP Server"

Hey guys.

Just built a new computer and everything went flawless for about a month. Just about a week ago I started losing my IP address and it goes to a 169 #. It will do this about once a day and I have to shut my computer off and reboot to get it to renew to a good address. When the connection fails I can disconnect the computer from the modem and type ipconfig/release and get 0's, then type ipconfig/renew and get a bad 169 # and it says it is "unable to contact DHCP Server", but after I reboot I get a good #. Also, I have deleted my network card in in the device manager and reinstalled it by restarting the computer and it still does it.

I do not use a router and connect with a cable modem. I have tried a new coaxel cable and network cable and it does the same thing. I saw a fix using a winsock repair tool seen here - http://www.nthelp.com/50/winsockfix.htm I might try it but was wondering if it was made for a specific OS and would not work with my windows XP. Also I wanna disable my firewall (comodo) and just use window's firewall to see if it acts up. I want to try a static IP as well but just have no clue how to set that up.

Anyone else have some suggestions? I have called charter but the don't want to help.

I figured it out.

Uninstalled Comodo's (spelling?) firewall and just used window's firewall and it has not lost the IP in 3 days.

Can anyone recommend a new firewall, or should I just use window's?

Back