Unable to connect to Windows Home Server after update

deadlift1

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been running a WHS v1 box for 7 years and it has run perfectly up until this morning. There was an update done last night. After this update I can no longer connect via the home server console or remote desktop. The server does appear on my network. I can ping it and it returns the following:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping familyserver

Pinging familyserver [192.168.1.16] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.16: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.16:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Any ideas?

Mods - please move if this belongs in another forum.

Can't connect via domain name or IP address?

First thing I'd try doing is a ipconfig /flushdns

I can't connect via either domain name or ip address.

I just did the DNS flush. Still can't connect.

Try to telnet to 389 to see if the port is open. RDP might have turned off or a firewall rule was changed.

Did you reboot the server to see if it resolves the issue?

Yes I restarted it 3 times. No luck.

Try to telnet to 389 to see if the port is open. RDP might have turned off or a firewall rule was changed.

Tried this. This is the message I got:

Connecting To 389...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

Connecting To 389...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

He missed a 3. Should be 3389. Can you attach a monitor and KB/M?

it's 3389, and to telnet you would need to:
Code:
telnet familyserver 3389

it's 3389, and to telnet you would need to:
Code:
telnet familyserver 3389

Thanks for updating that port. Here is what I am getting now:

Microsoft Telnet> o familyserver 3389
Connecting To familyserver...Could not open connection to the host, on port 3389
: Connect failed
Microsoft Telnet>

The firewall get kicked back on? Did the network connection switch from home profile to domain or public? (firewall related as well)

The above are windows firewall settings btw

Nothing changed as far as I know. I was streaming video from the server last night to my htpc. Everything worked as it always has. Today I tried to start a movie from the server and noticed all these issues.

I'm going to haul it out to the garage and hook up to a monitor and see what happens.

I'm assuming that this is headless from your last comment. I run mine headless as well, and had something like this happen once or twice. In my case it turned out to be a bad HDD that was keeping it from booting. Any time you can't reach it through UNC, RDP or "manage" hook it up to see what's going on.

I was kinda hoping you were having a similar issue to what I'm having now after reading the thread title (my new issue is related to replacing the router and no longer able to use port forwarding). Oh well... :(

This is a headless machine. I've determined that it is a primary hard drive failure. I've got my personal pics and videos duplicated but not my 2TB of movies. Can I recover everything or am I going to lose all the movies?

Got a new drive installed, performed server restore and everything is back. Time to upgrade all drives.

Back