Unable to access Safe Mode

Vlad335

Gawd
I am unable to use safemode with my new motherboard.( Asus A8V) When I hit f8 during startup, I get a screen asking me which drive I want to boot from. IE: floppy, DVDrom, or HDD. Cannot get the safemode screen.

Is this something with the A8V and the via raid drivers I am using? I need to get in safemode because my browser was highjacked. Highjackthis will not work so I have to manually delete a file and clean out the registry.

thanks

Select your HDD and start hitting F8 again. You should be able to access Safe Mode.

You're pressing F8 too early. A lot of motherboards use the F8 key to bring up the "Boot Menu" which lets you choose which device to boot up to. If you ever get that menu, just select your hard drive, and then continue pressing F8. The Windows XP boot menu will eventually come up.

If you're able to boot into normal mode, load up the "msconfig" tool and go to the BOOT.INI tab. Check the box next to "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK. Then when your computer restarts, it will automatically start in Safe Mode.

Just be sure to reverse the change when you're done.

Back