• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Um, What's with the Shock?

Silvers24

Gawd
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
514
Why has my computer suddenly started to shock me?
Like, when you touch a car door, and you get a shock.

It started this about 4 days ago. Wtf is going on?

It sits on the floor, and with a power surger, grounded. And it's a FPS Power Supply, about 700 Watts. It don't shock me when touching the top of the computer, but it'll shock me when touching the back.

And once or twice, in the front close to the floor, where my USB ports are.
I use the top of the PC for my mouse. Because of the setup I have. But it's never done this to me.

Am I to be worried?

But it only happens on the outside. And when the PC is off, no shock.
 
Last edited:
I'd run one of them things that test for current (mines a flat head screwdriver that lights up) all over your PC just to determine what or where the root is. Seems like the PSU is discharging current in places where it should not.
 
sure you aren't shocking it? (I mean this seriously)

if you've got a metal case you could be discharging into it

otherwise yeah do what jubbie suggested, take your multi or whatever and go all "ghost hunter" on the case

also, open it up, see if anything is touching things it shouldn't be
usually if you've got a short the system just won't work

also, you do anything to this system in the last few days? (like drop it, spill your coke into it, etc)
 
Hy guys, sorry for a waste of a thread, turns out my Power Surger has taken a shit on me.
As it shows it's "exhausted" with only the ground light showing, instead of all three plug-ins.
So my PC is getting like that due to that, plus it doesn't help my chair is electricly built up.
Or staticy. So I moved it away from the PC.

And the PC isn't discharging right now (as I moved the plug to another socket).
 
Its never a waste of a thread..unless you are trolling. Then again it could be entertaining! :D

Glad that you got your problem sorted out. Never know who might come across this thread and have the same problem.
 
A surge protector will have nothing at all to do with static electricity discharges. I mean when your socks/shoes generate a charge while walking over a nylon carpet in a room that has low humidity. This static charge has nothing to do with a surge protector. You should get the same shock by touching a door knob or most any other metal that has a ground path.

What you describe does not look like a static charge but more of a serious (and dangerous) problem with the grounding of your PC which as you determined to be caused by a faulty surge protector. If this is indeed the cause the discussion about anti-static spray and static discharge does not apply.
 
Last edited:
So far....no shock. What I did was cover my chair up, as its made of fabric, (kind that gets staticy) and moved it from the PC. So far perfect. I dont use a computer chair, since the way everything is. Cant use one.

So indeed, my PC is okay.
 
Back
Top