Um.. is this real? The BenQ XL2420?

Isn't scaling better done by the GPU?
For 4:3 you could just pick a 4:3 resolution in-game.
Black Equalizer looks just like cheating. And like something else that could easily be done by the game or the GPU.

It's quite far from cheating. And yes I prefer scaling on the GPU personally but it's not a big deal.

Why? Increasing the brightness of dark areas so it's easier to spot enemies...
As I think someone already said, that's pretty much just a gamma adjustment. Is turning up the brightness on your monitor cheating?

No, but both are monitor adjustments and together with contrast they can accomplish this black eq crap.

Some one asked about the response time issues the first BenQ had, so I awnsered, in return you threw a hissy fit.

Use of logic=not rolling the dice on 1st BenQ when the equally priced Planar was better according to reviews and did not suffer from response time or QC issues.

When lots of other people said the 1st BenQ had ghosting issues, ect compared to X monitor they owned I will listen, when some one just says it is fine with no other reference to previously owned products for comparison it doesn't mean anything. It could be their first monitor and they might not be aware of issues due to having no point for reference, so of course they like their purchase.

Since BenQ allegedly supported their product and fixed the issues this bodes well for the new monitor which looks quite nice, but it does not change the fact that they have a poor track record with the Xl240T and EW2420 which came out in 2010.

Holy christ man... it's a firmware update for the monitor. FW005 is on every single XL2410T made in 2011. It was rolled out LAST NOVEMBER and you're still perpetuating the idea that pixel response is an issue on this monitor.

NCX cheer up. BenQ has new monitors. You should review them. I'm sure the XL2420T has surely fixed all problems if you still don't believe the XL2410T has...

I'm still using a FP241W from 2006, really looking forward to seeing some in depth reviews before i buy it.

Holy christ man... it's a firmware update for the monitor. FW005 is on every single XL2410T made in 2011.

Can't be proven which is why I used the word allegedly.

You should review them.

Not sure if serious. Would love to but I'm not going to pay a 15% re-stocking free from NC1X. If futureshop or Best Buy stocks them or BenQ decides to send me one I have to stay away.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-benq-xl2420t.html#Einleitung

PRAD.de's Reivew Preview is up (paid).......and the BenQ gets a Very Good Rating, which is their highest rating.

+60hz input lag 7.9ms (good for console gaming)
+120hz input lag 4.9ms
+I've read most of PRAD's reviews and the BenQ seems to have the shortest (fastest) response times
+No light bleeding (PRAD's review samples often have perfect back-lighting....cherry picked?)
+Accurate color in the Standard Preset and good contrast
-Interpolation/scaling features don't work that well
+/-Turning off the AMA over drive feature results in much, much slower response times (why turn it off?)

Interested in seeing how others units turn out

@NCX

sorry for the ot...

do you have in these moment the S27A950D?

if yes, try this setting for pc gaming:
(reset before)

magic angle group view
brightness:75
contrast:60
sharpness:60
response time: fastest
HDMI black level: normal
Color 54/54/54

for me is simply AMAZING...

please try and let me know....

bye

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-benq-xl2420t.html#Einleitung

PRAD.de's Reivew Preview is up (paid).......and the BenQ gets a Very Good Rating, which is their highest rating.

+60hz input lag 7.9ms (good for console gaming)
+120hz input lag 4.9ms
+I've read most of PRAD's reviews and the BenQ seems to have the shortest (fastest) response times
+No light bleeding (PRAD's review samples often have perfect back-lighting....cherry picked?)
+Accurate color in the Standard Preset and good contrast
-Interpolation/scaling features don't work that well
+/-Turning off the AMA over drive feature results in much, much slower response times (why turn it off?)

Interested in seeing how others units turn out
Quality. Thanks for the tip. I am a little surprised the response time is so much slower with AMA turned off. With the XL2410T I think they measured just a 2ms increase with it turned off. Personally, I really detest the look of AMA on my Samsung 950 TV and also in the 2410. Looks very unnatural to me. I went for the XL2410T on sale. I wonder how much better the 2420T panel is. Seems to have about the same input lag ~5ms as the 10T. Seems color and contrast are much better out of the box. I'm guessing response time is in the same ball park but if it's the best ever maybe it has improved noticeably?

Seems like a pro monitor for sure. Can't wait to see more reviews in the mix.

EDIT: Anyone know which panel? Or does BenQ do there own?

Thanks for the rundown NCX. I'm most likely going to be picking one up a couple weeks after they launch in Canada. Hopefully Futureshop gets them in so that you can try one out for yourself.

do you have in these moment the S27A950D

I no longer have the Samsung but I can tell you those are horrible settings. Lowering the contrast raises the black level which washes resulting in greyish blacks and a washed out picture, same goes with cranking the brightness.

my Samsung 950 TV

TV's use motion interpolation, the BenQ's AMA feature=overdrive which is different. By 950 do you mean the local dimming LNxxA950? I have the 46"

The XL2420 would be noticeably faster side by side with the original unit and most other displays depending on the source (games with in-engine motion blur [many console games] will be a blurry nightmare on any LCD). PRAD.de's review said there were no overdrive errors (corona effect, streaking, smearing), but I would like to read more about specific game testing.

If other reviews are positive and it dethrones the Planar (#1 23-24" according to 3D Vision Blog), the BenQ should become the go to monitor since it and the Acer GN (not available in N/A yet?) are the only HDMI 1.4a Nvidia 3D monitors. Hopefully some one releases a glossy HDMI 1.4a compatible Nvidia 3D display since the only option is the Asus which has HDMI 1.3a.

Last edited:
By 950 do you mean the local dimming LNxxA950? I have the 46"

The XL2420 would be noticeably faster side by side with the original unit and most other displays depending on the source (games with in-engine motion blur [many console games] will be a blurry nightmare on any LCD).
Yep, I have that same model and size. I pre-ordered when it came out in 2008 and really hoped for a 52" model but they only made a 55 and 46 and so I went with the 46 thinking 55 was too big for my room.

PRAD measured an avg response of 6.3ms (with overdrive) for the 2410T, how much faster is the 2420T?

[considering if this is worth an upgrade]

So how fast is this monitor compare to S27A950D? NCX would you have any idea compare this to your experience of S27A950D? Ty in advance.

The 2420's numbers are all <2.1

So how fast is this monitor compare to S27A950D

Anything I say will be pure speculation. I didn't see any ghosting on the Samsung, but I didn't play every game either. Different games=different colors/contrast=different ghosting.

The Samsungs really should not be compared with the Nvidia 3D displays since each has their own intended user base.

There were a few fumbles (Acer GN, original BenQ, Acer HN), but now we are at a point with these 120hz displays were they are all so fast it does not matter unless one wants to buy the 2 fastest and compare.

There were a few fumbles (Acer GN, original BenQ, Acer HN), but now we are at a point with these 120hz displays were they are all so fast it does not matter unless one wants to buy the 2 fastest and compare.

This is the way i feel as well, just need to fix the sample and hold.

Anything I say will be pure speculation. I didn't see any ghosting on the Samsung, but I didn't play every game either. Different games=different colors/contrast=different ghosting.

The Samsungs really should not be compared with the Nvidia 3D displays since each has their own intended user base.

Thanks. I tried the S27A750D and I was getting odd artifacts when using the Fastest Response and I'm not sure if that occurs on 950D series. I returned the monitor and I'm going to try this and see how it compares to 750D.

Usually the Fastest setting causes overdrive artefacts with Samsungs (the 950 was the exception), which is why they usually come set to Faster. You probably just needed to use the Faster setting.

Usually the Fastest setting causes overdrive artefacts with Samsungs (the 950 was the exception), which is why they usually come set to Faster. You probably just needed to use the Faster setting.

So I heard. I'm not contemplating if I should get the 950D or this new BenQ 120hz monitor. I love the Vibrant color of the samsung on 750D series, but that overdrive artifacts killed it. Would you recomment the 950D if I would use the fastest response? Have you experience overdrive artifacts from them?

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/240hzTeslaStorm/Samsung S27A950D Review/RTComparison1.png

I didn't experience any ghosting with the Fastest on the 950D, even when operating @60hz and I played a lot of 30fps console games with in-engine motion blur which usually causes even more artefacts.

This is from the Samsung 27A850D which has some serious problems when set to Fastest
850fastest018.jpg

I bet the Faster setting on the 750D would have been perfect. The 950D is definitely not worth the premium over the 750D, which I would try again since the bezel is nicer (imo) and is cheaper than the 950D.

Last edited:
@Betauser quit hijacking this thread to be about the samsung, especially when you have stated you aren't even considering a BenQ. This is about the the XL2420T.

@Betauser quit hijacking this thread to be about the samsung, especially when you have stated you aren't even considering a BenQ. This is about the the XL2420T.

Thanks Mr. Hardforum police. I wont do it again. :rolleyes:

I didnt say I wasnt considering a BenQ monitor. Dont be a douche and I'm just asking a legitimate question. If you dont like my post, dont read it. YES. I know this about the BenQ XL2420T which I am contemplating between this and the Samsung S27A950D hence my questions to NCX since had the S27A950D.

Btw, Thank you very much for your input and great information NCX.

About six of the posts on this page are about the 950. Seems a bit much.
" I'm not contemplating if I should get the 950D or this new BenQ 120hz monitor."
maybe you meant to say now in which case you're hijack is less offending but i'm not a douche for thinking you meant what you said.

Looking forward to 3d blog doing a review so we can get some corroboration on what seems like an amazing display

About six of the posts on this page are about the 950. Seems a bit much.
" I'm not contemplating if I should get the 950D or this new BenQ 120hz monitor."
maybe you meant to say now in which case you're hijack is less offending but i'm not a douche for thinking you meant what you said.

Looking forward to 3d blog doing a review so we can get some corroboration on what seems like an amazing display

Yes, that was my bad. I was using my iPad when posting that. I didnt mean to type not in that sentence. I wouldn't have said OR if I'm not considering this monitor. But nothing to see here.

I would love more info from people who has first hand experienced with monitor as I'm about ready to get a me a xmas presents :D.

Kind of scared to order one since I heard too many complaints from previous model. I hope they resolves all the bleeding issues.

I had one pre-ordered so hopefully it will ship soon. I'll post impressions once it is here. If it is any good it will be replacing a LG W2363D.

I had one pre-ordered so hopefully it will ship soon. I'll post impressions once it is here. If it is any good it will be replacing a LG W2363D.

Awesome!! Let us know what you think when you receive it :)

It came in today. I had it delivered to my parent's house so I hooked it up quickly to check for dead pixels and the backlight uniformity. There were no dead pixels. The menu is absolutely fantastic. The menu buttons light up as your fingers get close and the layout is very logical.

This photo is with the brightness at 90% (very uniform):
The green light is actually a Logitech speaker LED in back of the monitor FYI.

IMG_0165.jpg

I am very satisfied with it so far, but I'll have to lug it back to my place and check it on my PC before I reach a definitive conclusion. It looks like it will easily surpass my LG W2363D. Anyone want to buy one from me? :p

that's actually pretty good. Thanks for the pic. Is the screen glossy or semi glossy?

that's actually pretty good. Thanks for the pic. Is the screen glossy or semi glossy?

It definitely is not a glossy display.

I hooked up the little remote and that makes navigating the menu even easier. The stand has a few nice things that I did not know the screen would come with. There is a monitor cover that leaves room for the built-in carry handle to pop through the top as well as a headphone hanger. I won't be using it since I use a monitor arm, but it is nice nonetheless.

Back