Um.. is this real? The BenQ XL2420?

Notigg

Weaksauce
So I have been searching for details about this monitor after the announcement for nvidia vision 2.

And then I found this link 2 minutes ago... the monitor in the video doesn't look like some rebranded benq XL2410 (I noticed some reviews across the net typoed the name and called it the XL2420) .. It looks AWESOME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UqgwZ4_Ok8

I am planning a triple monitor setup so 24 is of no concern... one factor determining my choice will be the size of the bezel though. It doesn't look bad but I can't say for sure how it compares to the new samsungs.... or the old xl2410

XL2420T is indeed real, it was first mentioned at the GeForce LAN as a Lightboost compatible monitor.

Thanks for the link, It looks fricken slick, hopefully it's competitively priced when it launches.

What are the chances it can pull off sub 1ms input lag like the dell HM?

Hope it has improved response time, that's what sucked most about the first BenQ 120Hz, it was worse than some 60Hz screens even when the very first 120Hz panels (Samsung, Viewsonic) were like twice as fast as the fastest 60Hz panels. The colors weren't the very best either, a bit too saturated.

313368_282033108498142_205605209474266_932863_1580707685_n.jpg

Looks a little funky if you ask me but if it performs well, then I guess it's a winner. The XL2410T with corrected backlight problems is already near perfect for FPS. I'm considering XL2410/20T or going 27" to the ASUS VG278H.

I don´t quite understand what response time issues the XL2410T had. Playing flipper with it is like having a mind control. It reacts before I do lol

Happy they stick with the monitor stand. This should be a default feature on all bigger TN panels.

Where's that picture from? Facebook?

I see it's listed on BenQ's site but it's not on their shop - any insight into it's cost?

The picture is from one of their gaming competition web sites. I have the url on my work computer. There was no additional info about it.

The first BenQ had a slow response time=ghosting, more than some 5ms TN's in some cases, people should not confuse this with input lag. Apparently they fixed the ghosting and quality control with newer revisions but who wants to roll the dice on a 350$ purchase when the120hz matte Planar is better.

Last edited:
The first BenQ had a slow response time=ghosting, more than some 5ms TN's in some cases, people should not confuse this with input lag. Apparently they fixed the ghosting and quality control with newer revisions but who wants to roll the dice on a 350$ purchase when the120hz matte Planar was better.

I bought it and it works just fine. You even say yourself they fixed with newer revisions and that was some time ago. Quit shitting on the BenQ already. We get your point, you hate it. Move on. It's almost the first thing I see you do in every 120hz thread when someone mentions the XL2410T (and now apparently the XL2420T, even though you've never even had an opportunity to try it) as an option.

Notice the use of past tense in my post and use of logic. I said nothing negative about the new model.

"Bbbu...but I have one and like it." This means nothing, you may or may not notice issues, sorry but I'll go with reviews or users who have owned multiple 120hz display who observed ghosting on the BenQ over some one saying it is fine.

Keep your Ego in check, no need to throw a hissy fit because you think you need to defend your purchase.

Notice the use of past tense in my post and use of logic.

Oh really?

Apparently they fixed the ghosting and quality control with newer revisions but who wants to roll the dice on a 350$ purchase when the120hz matte Planar was better.

Given your love of "logic", perhaps you should apply it properly through your post. And you're free to believe I am having a case of Ego Hissy Fit in defense of a product I have; quite frankly I'm more than content to take on your operation of misinformation. You say you didn't negatively comment on the new model, so again, what are you in here for? Oh that's right, shitting on BenQ, as was my original point.

"Bbbu...but I have one and like it." This means nothing, you may or may not notice issues, sorry but I'll go with reviews or users who have owned multiple 120hz display who observed ghosting on the BenQ over some one saying it is fine.

Bbbu... [?]... but I have one, it works properly and I like it. So I can talk about it and it -does- mean something, because I actually have the product; do you? Rather, you rely on on the views or other users (who very well may have had issues). But your last bit ("over some one saying it is fine.") clearly shows your prejudice against them, given you'll only listen to the negative comments.

So take a dose of your "logic" - in which you surprising admitted they fixed the problem and that maybe, just maybe those issues earlier this year could you know, be gone. But frack that, right? BenQ listened, turned around and fixed their product, supported their product. Frack them!

Apologies to OP and anyone else aside from NCX whom believes I went out of line with this point but he deserves it.

Some one asked about the response time issues the first BenQ had, so I awnsered, in return you threw a hissy fit.

Use of logic=not rolling the dice on 1st BenQ when the equally priced Planar was better according to reviews and did not suffer from response time or QC issues.

When lots of other people said the 1st BenQ had ghosting issues, ect compared to X monitor they owned I will listen, when some one just says it is fine with no other reference to previously owned products for comparison it doesn't mean anything. It could be their first monitor and they might not be aware of issues due to having no point for reference, so of course they like their purchase.

Since BenQ allegedly supported their product and fixed the issues this bodes well for the new monitor which looks quite nice, but it does not change the fact that they have a poor track record with the Xl240T and EW2420 which came out in 2010.

Use of logic=not rolling the dice on 1st BenQ when the equally priced Planar was better according to reviews and did not suffer from response time or QC issues.

Again, you say you're using the logic and claim you were speaking past tense. So how is "rolling the dice" applicable as a comment? Let me requote you incase you forgot:

Apparently they fixed the ghosting and quality control with newer revisions but who wants to roll the dice on a 350$ purchase when the120hz matte Planar was better.

But who "wants".... "wants". You are implying why would anyone want to roll the dice. Unless you know of some people who have access to a fully functional time travelling delorean, which <cough>, logically would lead me to think that is not the case.

When lots of other people said the 1st BenQ had ghosting issues, ect compared to X monitor they owned I will listen, when some one just says it is fine with no other reference to previously owned products for comparison it doesn't mean anything. It could be their first monitor and they might not be aware of issues due to having no point for reference, so of course they like their purchase.

I've owned other LCDs before this and it had almost no relevance to the discussion or my original point. I think you're grasping at straws here to form some sort of foundation for your ill-fated counter-argument. Besides, I did a -ton- of research on 120hz before I settled on the BenQ, reading perhaps *gasp* many or simliar comments from "lots of other people... ect compared to x monitor they owned". Thus I was fully aware of the original issues, I was fully aware of what testing compared to and describing the difference of other monitors types (one of which I had). Assumptions are a thin ledge.

Yeah I should have wrote who wanted and used proper tense, but my point it still applies now to the XL240T=dice roll=bad choice since the Planar is better. If you want to be a grammar/tense nazi go for it.

My other point regarding the QC does apply, you say something is fine, but don't don't provide any point of reference. You could be one of those people upgrading from a 6 year old 15" TN, so of course the BenQ would seem great.

If the new version turns out to be a stinker at launch as well I will be here to warn people, but of course I would just be hating right?:rolleyes: I have no bias against companies (except LG:D), just bias against bad monitors since there are plenty good ones, which the new BenQ may be.

personal experience. benq company has almost no customer support for their product. I bought a dvd rw and broke after 6 month of use. Tried so many times to contact for warranty and service but they never ever answer. Never bought any Benq since then.

Was curious as too it's release date and bored at work, here's what Random Support Guy #01 said.

You are now chatting with Benq
Benq: how may I help you
You: I was just wondering about the XL2420t
You: http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/xl2420t
You: When it would be available for purchase in US, confused as it's listed on the products page, but not in the store.
Benq: It will be available in December for sale. we will have it on the site at that time for orders.
You: Well, thank you for the response; looks like I will have to be patient. Have a good day!
Benq: Thank you. You too as well.

XL2420T has shown up in the price listing in lots of swedish shops and ETA is set to around mid-november, there will be a XL2420T and XL2420TX where the latter also has built in IR-receiver and comes with glasses. The "T" version is marketed towards gamers, competitive gaming etc but it comes with 3D Vision 2 support but has cut out the unnecessary features for 120Hz gamers to lower the price. Unfortunately the price isn't that low, ~4000 SEK which normally corresponds to around $400 USD, so it better be good!

Link http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/xl2420t

At least someone is trying to cater to gamers, instead of pushing some crap 3rd party fail3d on you.

Good stuff! I wonder what changes if any will be made to the panel vs. the XL2410T. I hope it's increases in performance and not just nvidia 3d 2 and other features added.

so far it looks promising. i like that it's true 24" and not 23.6". Looks decent too and the preset buttons are convenient.

"there are two variations to this special mode this year: the FPS1 mode is designed to configure and optimize the display for Counter-Strike 1.6 and the FPS2 mode for Counter-Strike Source as recommended by BenQ. "

Really? CS 1.6? In what country are people still playing counter strike in masses?

I'm still looking forward to this monitor but there's about 4 / 5 really negative reviews about the XL2410T. All of them mention backlight bleeding which i know has been fixed with firmware but they also mention color reproduction / colorbanding / ghosting. Anywith that monitor can confirm that info and can speak to BenQ quality in general?

oh yeah, link: http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2410T-...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking good so far. I was tempted to get the Samsung S23A750, but no VESA mount = no purchase. Going to wait for some reviews and input lag tests.

Here's some forced testimonials about the features of the monitor by counter strike players: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_209Br7Ywp8

They pretty much talk about everything except the important stuff like input lag and ghosting.

So far I'm convinced that this is the XL2410T with a bunch of "counter strike player" features.

Hard to wait for this thing while newegg is having a 15% 3D monitors sale today.

lol what a stupid video. The Black equalizer just decreases the gamma=washed out colors/lifeless picture. The screen uniformity looked perfect even with the obviously high brightness, but the monitors were probably cherry picked for events/videos.

Hardcore CS players are noobs who can only handle the most simplistic types of FPS game play IMO.

The image scaling is cool but I'm not sure why one wouldn't use 1920x1080. I remember reading something about using 800x600 res decreases the recoil, hence the the image scaling. As far as I'm concerned that is extremely noobish.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that that video was cherry picked, BenQ doesn't seem like they are the type of company to do so (as in I believe they actually lack the common sense you would imagine a manufacturer to have); why else would they send out a bunch of review units to websites during the launch of the XL2410T and kill their own reviews by sending out crappy units. Or they probably just didn't have time to actually test the units and realize they weren't functional.

Regardless, I think BenQ has come far from their mishaps and I'm also looking forward to this new XL2420T. It's looking to be a really cool product! I'm loving the black vs red design on the exterior and I like how they finally made the adjustments to lower bottom right of the screen to exclude the OSD buttons, this way now users who want to make eyefinity setups can do so. It's pretty awesome that they made it true 24" too. I'm not sure why manufacturers initially made all the 120hz monitors 23.6", save the minor cost? It's also nice that they finally added dual HDMI to this monitor which I love on their EW2420 and EW2430, it's super handy. It's going to be definitely interesting waiting to see performance test specs on the XL2420T and how it competes with the new Samsungs.

@NCX: I think the scaling is a really cool feature actually, because 1st of all I don't think many other brands offer this unique feature. I don't imagine it would cost much more to add it either, but they don't. It's a cool feature because there are a lot of users out there that prefer to play FPS in non-widescreen. It actually makes sense because your vision span does is within a shorter frame. Well it would make a difference to pro-gamers. I think it would be far to say that Hardcore CS players can only handle simplistic types of FPS games; it's more of they need the fastest reaction time to each scene in the game and therefore don't need anything else to dillute that. Also mainly because, CS 1.6 was designed on the old steam engine and therefore runs better on 4:3 resolution.

"Old Steam engine" lol.

CS1.6 is Vert- so it is indeed "better" at 4:3 than it is at 16:9. The Recoil thing that NCX is talking about it probably the primary reason they all play at 800x600. There's other reasons too though. Like Cracks between boxes appearing to be larger when scaled up etc.

The scaling stuff is far from unique though. It's fairly popular, just not marketed.

"Old Steam engine" lol.

CS1.6 is Vert- so it is indeed "better" at 4:3 than it is at 16:9. The Recoil thing that NCX is talking about it probably the primary reason they all play at 800x600. There's other reasons too though. Like Cracks between boxes appearing to be larger when scaled up etc.

The scaling stuff is far from unique though. It's fairly popular, just not marketed.

Ooops. lol, what was the old version running again? It wasn't steam ha...ha...

Really? The scaling stuff is available on other monitors? Anyones in particular?

Ooops. lol, what was the old version running again? It wasn't steam ha...ha...

Really? The scaling stuff is available on other monitors? Anyones in particular?

Steam really has very little to do with it. The engine that it's running is GoldSrc. Steam is merely a platform to sell games and provides steamworks functions to games that wish to use them. (Things like avatars or the server browser) They could rip all of the steam stuff out of CS1.6 in a day and it wouldn't be much different.

And yeah actually the a large percentage of monitors have it. You're typically looking for 1:1 scaling for black boarders on all sides or Aspect Scaling for black bars on 2 sides
Edit: I just finally watched the video. The Aspect scaling to any size is unique to this monitor but it seems rather useless in my opinion. Probably a tournament feature where you may have a 20" monitor at home and you would like to play with a 20" monitor when you go play at the tournament. Utterly useless for home use.

Last edited:
@NCX: I think the scaling is a really cool feature actually, because 1st of all I don't think many other brands offer this unique feature.
Isn't scaling better done by the GPU?
For 4:3 you could just pick a 4:3 resolution in-game.
Black Equalizer looks just like cheating. And like something else that could easily be done by the game or the GPU.

Last edited:
Back