Ultrawidescreen - Move Over Eyefinity?

ecmaster76

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Messages
1,150
Vizio is releasing ultrawuidescreen (21:9 ratio, 2560 x 1080 res) displays

http://www.vizio.com/ces/cinemawide/specs/

The fisrt model ia 58" diaganol but at that ratio it is only 29" high which acttually makes it comaparable to smaller traditional displays. They are also planning on releasing a 50" model which would probably be pretty close to a reasonable height for a PC display (though at this ratio I think somewhere in the 40's would be ideal, IMO)

In addition to talking about the release model (which may or may not be all that great, what do you guys think about a 21:9 ratio dispaly as an alternative to eyefinity? It might not be quite as wide as three landscape oriented display but would be very comparable to portrait:landscape:portrait setups, without the bezel.
 
wow, that looks like amazing game "monitor", 58" size, super wide, 120Hz and have local dimming.
I wonder about price though...
 
Few problems with it, 1080 pixels tall is still quite small and the 120Hz is interpolated junk. Just look at the inputs:


Inputs
HDMI with HDCP: 5
Component: 1
Composite: 1
VGA: 1
 
It's a TV, not a monitor, and it's that format to support UW Movies which alot seem to be these days.
 
I like the concept but I simply don't have much confidence in the Vizio brand when it comes to quality assurance and quality control.
 
21:9 should be pretty much ideal for gaming

however the tv is probably too slow and laggy for gaming
and it likely doesn't accept more than 1920x1080@60hz
(that means blurry ~800p when using full 21:9)
 
I've had good luck using my current Vizio TV as a monitor. You can disable most all of the processing to reduce lag to near monitor levels

Hopefully if it cant' support native 120hz it will at least allow for disabling the interpolation.

I would imagine that if they are speccing it at 2560 x 1080 it would accept that resolution at at least 60hz.

Maybe someone who is interested in it for home theater purposes will be kind enough to plug in their PC and let us know.
 
I believe hdmi 1.4 should allow for enough bandwidth to run the res, but again companies only have to implement part of the specs.
 
[self-edit to remove a reference to an individual user

This will please the wider-is-always-better crowd.
 
Last edited:
Lets not derail this into something stupid.

But as an aspect ratio for gaming, it's quite good. I used a setup at 3760x1600 (2.35 ar) which is very close to 21:9 (2.33) for playing games on. It was satisfactory. Btw it wa a LP setup with a 30" and a 20" monitor.
 
Back
Top