Ultrawidescreen for original Titan?

Pegi

Limp Gawd
I have the original Titan X video card paired with a 27" monitor (Dell U2715H, 2560x1440). Knowing Mass Effect Andromeda is only weeks away, I've been wanting to upgrade to a curved G-sync ultrawidescreen but unsure if my 2-year-old video card can handle it. I want to stay with this video card for another year yet so would appreciate any insight as to how this card would perform with an ultrawidescreen or other monitor suggestions.

I was specifically considering the Acer Predator X34 but couldn't seem to find the X34A (online stores were still carrying the original X34). I have read that the X34P won't be out until Q4.

I really want G-sync and I really want a curved monitor. Size wise, I would prefer 32" but would go 34" if my card can handle it. My main games are LOTRO and Diablo 3 but I plan on playing Mass Effect. I would also use this monitor for web browsing and Word documents. No movie watching.

Do I have to compromise and set a priority as to what would work for me...or are there any monitors upcoming this year that would be worth waiting for?

I just picked up a X34 two weeks ago and it is simply awesome! I spent months shopping for an ultrawide and the X34 was perfect. Especially for the price over the PG348Q. Same panel and I like the black and silver more. No the predator logo is not obnoxious IMO and you can remove it.

I ran my 980ti on the X34 and it ran very fine. G-Sync is amazing having come from a PB278Q 1440p non-gsync monitor. Kind of mad I didn't make the switch earlier. The X34 is the same height as my PG278Q but obviously just wider. 34" was the perfect ultrawide for my situation.

The X34A is Europe only according to Acer. My X34 (Dec 2016 build) has mininal BLB, similar to by old Asus IPS, no stuck pixels or coil whine. I believe Acer and ASUS have worked out the issues with the LG panels in these ultrawide screens. I was concerned with the amount of curve on the X34P considering I use it for work. The X34 curve is not really noticeable during work/play and haven't had any issues. Excel looks normal unless I maximize it then you can see the bend. The workspace provided by the ultrawide is awesome.

If you get a X34 make sure you use the recommended settings from TFT Central or others. The stock brightness will blow out your eyeballs in no time.

The bad about the X34 and PG348Q are the stands. They are huge! I would strongly recommend getting a desk mount and not using the stand. I got one on Amazon for $27.00 with a gromment mount since the sides of my desk are too tall. Vivo single arm (V001C) is what I went with and it has worked just fine. Just remember to use the screws in the VESA adapter box. They are shorter than the stand screws. You don't need to use the adapter which is good cause it is about an inch tall.

The only other things I don't like on the X34 is no source auto switching and the user interface. It would be nice to have an app or easier gui to turn the LED lighting on and off. But again these are super small issues.

I didn't notice a huge performance drop going from 2540x1440 to 3440x1440. The 980ti played all my games fine and they hovered in the 70's. The 1080 definitely cranked up the performance but allowed me to change many settings to Ultra. The 1080 will run GTA from 50s to high 90's. Played for 4 hours last night and never saw a drop below 50. G-Sync really helps especially when you crank up the settings.

You should be OK with the games you play.

With regard to other screens, the HP Omen is suppose to be out this month. It is a 35" screen with more of a curve. I haven't found anything to backup the X34P will have a faster screen but trying to get 100FPS is hard enough with the 1080 and higher settings.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another X34 now since the X34P and Omen just didn't offer anything else I needed. I would recommend going to Microcenter if you have one or similar shop that sells the X34, PG348Q and soon the Omen. That way you can see one in person and use it. Microcenter in Denver had both X34 and PG running so I got to see them in person and not just online or youtube reviews.

If you don't need gsync, I love it and worth the extra $$$, the LG ultrawides are fantastic and a heck of a lot cheaper. I just can't buy a freesync monitor not known if NV will ever support it and AMD just not giving the performance I want.

Hope that helps!

TLDNR: X34 is awesome and worth the cash especially on sale! Get a mount and leave the stock stand in the box.

TLDNR: X34 is awesome and worth the cash especially on sale! Get a mount and leave the stock stand in the box.

How awesome *you* are for writing such a comprehensive response! Your experience with this monitor and a 980 Ti is about the closest comparison I could ask for. What a relief to hear that! I really wanted this monitor. How funny that you went from the Asus PB278Q. I had that exact monitor and the PWM gave me daily headaches; switched to the Dell 27", which is a very nice monitor but doesn't have Gsync.

Also, I wasn't at all aware that the X34A was a Europe-only indication. I thought that version was a quality-control upgrade. I wish I had a Microcenter close by; I'll have to place the order online. Do you know if Microcenter is receptive to exchanges if my panel should have a dead pixel? I assume I'd have to pay return shipping?

Again, thank you so much for your help. I've been worrying over this for weeks. I'll place the order within the next week for sure!

The X34A has a few modifications like swivel and headset holder. I only found reviews from the EU and only one store sold them in the UK. They wouldn't ship overseas. Acer's rep confirmed it was UK and EU only.

I didn't buy my monitor at Microcenter since they were $200 more than Amazon at the time and I got free shipping. Just used MC to see the screens up close.

Only time I used MC's return policy was my Vive and they didn't say anything. Swapped out my HMD no questions asked.

I know users of early X34's and PG348Q's took them back for minor BLB and just swapped with zero issues but they were locals to the MC stores. Not shipping. I would imagine you will have to pay shipping. Another site with a X34 owners forum has early users experiences sending back to MC, Amazon and Newegg. NE is the only one that seemed to give grief.

Amazon shipped the screen box in a plain box, I requested it since I work where FedEx/UPS just leave things. Monitor arrived without any issues. Just a warning the box is huge.

Back