Ultrawide or normal 4K? G sync worth it?

kyriptic

Limp Gawd
Can't decide between ultrawide (curved?) or a 4K monitor. Also is gsync really worth the premium? probably going to get an nvidia card next so freesync is out of the question. Are there any korean monitors that have gsync?

If you were to buy right now id go ultrawide since the 4k gsync monitors are only 60hz while you can get 100hz on gsync ultrawide. Yes gsync is worth it and there are no korean monitors that have it sadly.

so for ultrawide 100hz + gsync pretty much doubles the price of the monitor

Acer Predator X34
Asus ROG PG348Q Black

those both do 100hz and gsync and are at the $1.2K price point while most other ultrawides are at the $700 price point. Still not really sure if its THAT much better to pay almost double for. I haven't even checked out the korean options without 100hz or gsync either if anyone has any recommendations for those?

Both ultra wide and 4k monitors have ridiculous price hikes for gsync models compared to 1440p 144hz. You can expect to pay $400+ more for a gsync ultra wide or 4k but no price premium for a 1440p 144hz gsync. If you really have no plans to buy AMD id strongly recommend checking out a 1440p 144hz monitor to avoid rip off pricing. Gaming without variable+high refresh isnt worth it.

I have a korean 1440p right now, so was looking for an "Upgrade" and ultrawides just look so pretty.

Can't decide between ultrawide (curved?) or a 4K monitor. Also is gsync really worth the premium? probably going to get an nvidia card next so freesync is out of the question. Are there any korean monitors that have gsync?
All depends on your rig, video card, budget, purpose....

Last edited:
Kind of wanted to stay under $1K for the monitor was really my only concern maybe picking up a new titan x

All depends on your right, video card, budget, purpose....

This. Ultrawide can be good or a curse depending on the game and if it supports proper GUI scaling. For any other normal use, vertically short monitors get annoying for all the extra scrolling you have to do.

Ultrawide can be good or a curse depending on the game and if it supports proper GUI scaling. For any other normal use, vertically short monitors get annoying for all the extra scrolling you have to do.

Ultrawide been good for gaming is urban legend. Unless you race cars or shoot through embrasure all day long. Once you need to look down your feet, or shoot helicopters you are screwed. In a word ultrashorts are not cool. They are fugly.

why is it ultra short if the they are both 1440p? its still the same pixel height lol

Last edited:
why is it ultra short if the they are both 1440p? its still the same pixel height lol

1440 is short compared to 2160. Oh, this ultrashort nonsense is also not as wide as UHD? And it costs more? Features spotty support in games? "Ultrawide or 4K" why is it even a question?

Acer x34 user reporting in

34" 3440x1440 is great for MOST games (some don't support it and you have to play 2560x1440 with black bars on the sides). Most
new games do support it and a few that don't are easily solved with Google and a *.ini edit (if you can't do that, buy a Mac). But there are still a few games that no matter what you do, you're going to play at 2560x1440 and have letterbox type bars on the sides.

You need g-sync at this resolution.

Disclaimer I have yet to try 4K to see how that looks.

the ACER X34 is actually the one I'm considering right now, how is the monitor it self?

Acer x34 user reporting in

34" 3440x1440 is great for MOST games (some don't support it and you have to play 2560x1440 with black bars on the sides). Most
new games do support it and a few that don't are easily solved with Google and a *.ini edit (if you can't do that, buy a Mac). But there are still a few games that no matter what you do, you're going to play at 2560x1440 and have letterbox type bars on the sides.

You need g-sync at this resolution.

Disclaimer I have yet to try 4K to see how that looks.

the ACER X34 is actually the one I'm considering right now, how is the monitor it self?

X34 quality control is a bit of a gamble, but if you get a good one it's nice. Occasionally you can get a refurb for $699-799.

It's a good monitor as long as you have a very deep desk (you need to sit kind of far from it) and have high end graphics hardware pushing it.

For gaming? Ultrawide 1440 is the way to go.

For productivity, 4K is the go-to option.

However, both are 'not bad' options for either.

4K at 60hz is around $400-$500
4K at above is in the thousands.
3440x1440 @ 60-75hz is around $700 - $900
3440x1440 @ 100hz + G-Sync is $1200.

Depends on how much you want to spend. I don't put much stock in Gsync and Freesync, I only care about getting a monitor with high resolution and getting it to 60hz, but if I did care, I'd focus on a monitors ability to set the refresh rate regardless of which video card I'm using.

Good luck!

For me, Large format 4K is the next thing for me. Unfortunately, there's nothing that has g-sync as well.

4K is good because you get ultrawide as well with a simple 3840x1620 resolution.

I know this is a bit of a derail and normally Im NEVER a guy who advocates "if you can just wait a little longer this is coming out..." (since thats a never ending cycle that will result in you never buying anything) but WOW

I think 2017 is going to have some AWESOME panels.

Read this blurb:

"Perhaps the most interesting panel is planned for Q1 production 2017 at the moment. This is a new version of the LM340UW3 panel (revision tbc). This is a 34" curved ultra-wide IPS panel (1900R curvature) with a 3440 x 1440 resolution. It will offer a 144Hz refresh rate as well! Current 34" widescreen displays are making use of a native 60Hz IPS panel from LG.Display, overclocked in some cases to 100Hz maximum where a G-sync module is added to the screen. With the arrival of this 144Hz native panel we assume it will also need to use DisplayPort v1.3 connectivity but this will allow refresh rates to be significantly improved in this sector. With a native support of 144Hz we may also see some screens paired with blur reduction backlights which would be welcome in the 34" space as well. Nothing else staggering from the current listed spec which is updated in our panel parts database."

LCD and TFT Monitor News

(just scroll up and down that page and read the links for June 2016, there is some great stuff coming )

It's up to you man... I'm running a 55" Curved Samsung KS8500 with a set of GTX 1080 cards in SLI. Playing everything nicely at 4K. The G-Sync is really nice because if the framerate ever dips below 60Hz you'll still perceive motion as being very smooth.

Before purchasing my TV to be used as a monitor on my desk I spent a lot of time thinking about getting a Predator X34. I have no doubt that 100Hz and G-Sync would be smoother, BUT I just couldn't bring myself to spend $1200-1300 on something that tiny. I was on a 40" 1080p TV before with a set of GTX 780 cards in SLI. After getting the 55" curved TV looking at the 40" feels tiny, so there's that.

Just be aware that PC gaming monitors will always have better input lag and pixel response time. The particular TV I got has excellent input lag for a TV, but still not as good as some of those 144Hz gaming monitors, etc.

Can't wait for 4K 55" 120Hz G-Sync screens. LMAO. Would be amazing and probably cost $5000 though. XD

Man so I actually pulled the trigger on the pascal titan x, still leaning more toward the acer X34 for the monitor upgrade : \ someone find me a deal on it, or a better deal on something else with gsync please hehe

If you can wait until next year then 4K @ 120 Hz+ should become available. I want to like ultrawide but at the moment it seems problematic since some games just give you a lower FOV while some just don't support the wide resolution at all.

But I guess if you went for the new Titan then you want a display now rather than later...

If you can wait until next year then 4K @ 120 Hz+ should become available. I want to like ultrawide but at the moment it seems problematic since some games just give you a lower FOV while some just don't support the wide resolution at all.

But I guess if you went for the new Titan then you want a display now rather than later...

Yeah, it's kind of why I went with a 16:9 4K 55" TV instead. Was going to pay similar prices for a gaming monitor, so why not just get a really nice TV? (I could deal with the slightly increased input lag, etc. as I'm not a competitive gamer) Just for nice compatibility with older and newer games, etc.

Also, with 55" even when I watch 21:9 films the video is large enough so I don't care about the black bars anyway.

Back