Ultra XFinity Fan

stryder2720

Supreme [H]ardness
Has anyone replaced the fan in the Xfinity(500) yet? This thing is loud as hell compaired to my other components and I would love to replace the fan in it. Think it would be okay to do as long as I transfer that clear plastic cover to the new fan? I have it installed in the bottom of my P180 along with 2x200 gig drives and my 74 Raptor. I'm assuming that the HDs added alot of heat because before I had the 2x200s installed the fan on the PSU was silent.

It's a piece of cake.. and I wouldn't bother replacing the plastic sheet either.

In fact, try it with just taking the plastic baffle off. The one I had was a really early revision and didn't come with the plastic baffle. Worked flawlessly and was quiet. Won't cost you any money. ;)

I've learned Ultra is pretty crazy with cooling. You'll find one of the biggest preventions for a power supply to reach higher wattages is temperature.

The hotter a PSU gets, the less power it can put out. The more power it puts out, the hotter it gets. That's why Ultra uses fans that spin faster, have baffles, and why the 600W has a pair of 80's where other people are using one 120MM. The thing is, someone is not going to buy a 500W power supply and load it all of the way up to 500W. They should design the cooling to cool a PSU capable of only 3/4 of that! That's all someone is going to get out of a power supply with a regular PC.

I guess the up shot is long component life. :rolleyes:

If you do replace the fan, don't get a thermostatically controlled fan. I made that mistake once. I hooked a thermostatically controlled fan up to a power supplies thermostat and the end result was a fan that didn't spin on power up and only spun at about 1000RPM under normal use. It seemed to work fine, but I don't think it would've lasted long.

jonnyGURU I can't thank you enough for that wonderful reply :) First thing I'm gonna do today after class is take that plastic baffle off.
Thank you soooooooooooo much!
Punk-Rock-169x250.jpg

Back