• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ultra SCSI-3 questions

Erit

Weaksauce
Joined
May 7, 2002
Messages
104
I had an old Compaq server die (power supplies, hard to come by) and I needed to get some information off of it. I took out the hard drive and it's a Compaq Ultra SCSI-3 drive 18 gigs, but my only means of connecting it was by putting it into a Dell PowerEdge Windows 2003 server running Ultra SCSI-2. I wasn't entirely sure if it would work, but the PowerEdge detected it and said it was running at Ultra SCSI-2. (so i figure it's backwards compatible)

However, when looking in Computer Management, it shows the drive as healthy and working, but all 16-17 gigs are seen as unpartitioned space! Does this have something to do with running it in a Ultra SCSI-2 format? Would running some data recovery software like GetDataBack allow me to recovery the files on there?

It's not absolutely crucial information, but I'm interested in this SCSI stuff, anyone have any suggestions?
 
The drive should appear with the same data on it, irrespective of whether it's on scsi-2 or 3. Looks like your data's at least mostly gone. GetDataBack or whatever may or may not work, but scsi version shouldn't be a problem.
 
Well, that's a bit hazy. From what I've been told, the Compaq used to have two hard drives in there (not sure if they were RAID'd or not), and they took one out. However it was functional with just one. I think I'm going to try getdataback for ntfs and see what that returns. Any other suggestions/alternatives would be appreciated. :D
 
If it was part of a RAID1 array you should be able to read the data with getdataback.
If there where only 2 drives, that rules out RAID 5, and i certainly hope it wasn't running RAID0.
Can you turn the server back on? The SmartArray controller should tell you at POST what drives/array it's expecting to find and complain when they are not there. Might give you some insite as to what the previous setup was.
 
Back
Top