Ultra PSUs lack internal heatsinks?!

_Korruption_

Supreme [H]ardness
All the PSUs I've seen to date employ some sort of heatsinks, in conjunction with fans to dissipate heat from the internals. The OCZ Powerstream/Topower P6 seems to have the largest heatsinks in a PSU I've ever seen... its very pretty. PCP&C also employs large heatsinks to remove heat. Antec and Enermax rely on smaller (relatively speaking) heatsinks to do the job. They are regarded as high-quality PSUs... so heatsinks seem like a requirement these days, even the generic doorstops come with them.

Take a look at this Ultra 600W PSU... its most likely from Powmax (again), but even the X-Connect (which is rated at 500W) gets some small heatsinks. This PSU relies on just the fans to remove heat, which doesn't seem very effective.

Does this design work?

XConnect600w_1.jpg

XConnect600w_2.jpg

I did a WTF take when I saw that review too.. I wouldn't trust ANY PSU w/out heatsinks, let alone a "600" watter from PowMax :rolleyes: .
[edit] Kinda makes you wonder why they put that white cover on the top..Almost as if they know alot of "reviewers" will never take apart the PSU, and actually see what makes it tick.

stickied thread said:
Ultra-X (yes, the pretty looking ones, they are really rebranded POWMAX !!!), Aspire, Demon, Deer, Powmax, Power-Up, Eagle, X-superalien, Raidmax, L&C, Power-Man, Allied, Achieve, Codegen, Antec Smartpower (trupowers are fine, the smartpowers won't blow up, but will limit upgradability and stability in high end machines), MGE, PCMICS, Allied, JustPC, InWin, E-power (except Tagan series), X-treme, Dynapower, Coolmax, Kingwin, Linkworld, low end Thermaltakes, Turbo, Aerocool, Devanni.

I do believe that's why they made this list =P

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
Anything thats that flashy cant be functional.

The OCZ PowerStreams are pretty flashy and yet they are some of the best power supplies out there right now.

burningrave101 said:
The OCZ PowerStreams are pretty flashy and yet they are some of the best power supplies out there right now.
Turbo Cooled 510. downright the best and they r starting to be flashy

and I warned people about ultra's just to get the

"OMG THEY LOOK SO 1337 YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT"

argument throw in my face.

Told ya'll so :)

Turns out they do have a heatsink in them..I saw another "review" of this PSU the other day, and in their pics, you could see the way-too-small-for-any-PSU-let-alone-a-"600w"-PSU heatsink peeking out from under that white plastic.

actually I saw this when it was first posted :p

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026996021&postcount=180
to wit:
Ive been pondering that
first off Id like to disassemble that and definatively determine the heat transfer path
next Id be interested in its efficiency
as efficiency increases, the total heat load decreses,
and as the airflow increases the total interface area needed decreases
(and it is a straight through push pull fan setup)
judging a supply by its heatsinks has only limited usefulness
it needs to be weighted in context
however I do agree it doesnt look very impressive from that PIC

Im still reserving judgement till more information is avaialable
the lack of huge heatsinks isnt ipso facto proof its not up to the task
but it is sure indicative

Back