Ultra PS & Asus A8N

neurotic

n00b
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
37
I am trying to piece together a half decent gaming rig for my girlfriend right now. I currently have:

Athlon 64 3500+ (venice)
Asus A8N SLI Premium (on the way since the ol MSI blew hard)
Corsair value select (2x512)
6600GT
Ultra 400w PS

She doesn't want to spend much with Christmas just around the corner, but I am not sure if her power supply is going to work with this nice motherboard we ordered.

Here is a link to the old one that is in there. It certainly is blinging! http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detailsInactive.asp?Sku=ULT31396

I know this isn't the most ideal setup ever, but would you recommend I talk her into spending the extra $110 on something like the Enermax Liberty? She isn't going to be overclocking or running 13 hard drives.

Thanks.
 
110....no. You could get a better supply for much less though and it would be a good idea. The 18amp 12v on that is going to be rather anemic if you ever decide to upgrade anything on the system and that unit I don't believe is a wintech so it is not the best Ultra unit out there.
 
neurotic said:
Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on a good compromise?

Kind of depends do you have any features you would like it to have? You know quite, looks, modular cables, or anything? Are there any planned upgrades? And you aren't in Canada right?
 
Looks makes no difference to her. No window on the case so sheathed/modular cables aren't important. I just want to get her something that will last and is rock solid. It probably won't ever need to power anything more than a dvd writer, hard drive or two, and the video card. I don't know if she will ever utilize SLI, but it would be nice to have the option available.

Oh, and I don't live in Canada. Eh.
 
Well using low end SLI (like 2 6600's) as a reference point for possible expansion you could do it with the Xclio: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189003

If you move up higher into the 6800+ range then the Enermax Whisper II:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103512


Give them a look and let me know what you think. The Xclio is a CWT product....same OEM as Antec.

THe Canada thing was just in case because of availablility.....I don't know the Canadain availability as well as some other here.
 
After thinking more about it, I am sure she will not be going SLI anytime soon. Either way, the Xclio looks like a nice deal at 50 bucks. I think I may be ordering that tonight.

Thanks!
 
Back
Top