Ultra HD Forum Releases New UHD Guidelines

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Ultra HD forum has published updated rules to shape the next generation of 4K broadcasts. These include support for higher frame rates (100/120 FPS) and dynamic HDR metadata systems such as Dolby Vision and SL-HDR1. Additionally, audio will be improved via Dolby AC-4 Audio and MPEG-H Audio compression technologies.

Formed in 2015, the Ultra HD Forum is the global organization responsible for promoting market adoption of Ultra HD by defining industry best practices for the phased introduction of the wide set of technologies facilitating the next-generation television experience. The organization facilitates interoperability testing and collaborates with industry standards bodies to align standard development activities.

So we're talking about 4k broadcasts. And comcast had to go back to 720p because they didn't have the bandwidth to do 1080p. Ok i'll just throw this under vaporware
Sure they can do it. Of course it will look like 480i, but who cares it will be 4k!
Long live blue disc.

4k broadcasts that will be so compressed by the cable companies that the compression artifacts will be 100 pixels wide. And with the real bandwidth most ISPs provide, a lot of us are lucky to get streaming at 720. I got better reception of the Super Bowl with the cheap antenna I got with the old USB TV receiver gizmo then I could get with Cox Cable. It was nice not seeing the fans in the stadium turn into blocks every time several of the players moved.

4k broadcasts that will be so compressed by the cable companies that the compression artifacts will be 100 pixels wide. And with the real bandwidth most ISPs provide, a lot of us are lucky to get streaming at 720. I got better reception of the Super Bowl with the cheap antenna I got with the old USB TV receiver gizmo then I could get with Cox Cable. It was nice not seeing the fans in the stadium turn into blocks every time several of the players moved.

I get my advertised speed always. In fact, I usually get 20Mbps over my advertised 100Mbps rate. I have Spectrum and live in a shit town.

Over-the-air quality is actually pretty good. You can shove alot of bandwidth down the pipe when it's a single mass transmission, versus a bunch of point-to-point transmissions over your ISP's lines (even with some caching).

The cable companies have no excuse though.

Last edited:
Hell, I just wanna see something higher than the 24p we have now. I loved the Hobbit and the 45p theater experience. Give us that. It's a shame that media is so locked in to 24p.
AFAIK, TVs are 30FPS, not 24. That said, the first TVs capable of HFR with an external source will probably be next year. LG's OLED sets can do it now, but only with internal apps, but once we get the next interation of HDMI in TVs, we'll get HFR from Blu Ray, and what not.

AFAIK, TVs are 30FPS, not 24. That said, the first TVs capable of HFR with an external source will probably be next year. LG's OLED sets can do it now, but only with internal apps, but once we get the next interation of HDMI in TVs, we'll get HFR from Blu Ray, and what not.

Well...That that information isn't accurate. NTSC is 29.97fps. Film is 24.

There are plenty of TV's with true refresh rates of 60Hz+

When was the last time you looked at TV's? 2005?

Broadcast TV is still getting updates?

Has a new form of Floppy Disk been certified?

Is there a Horse-and-cart consortium?

Just FYI. Over the air HD broadcasts look much better than any streaming service has to offer. The only reason I see to go to a 4K monitor is for computer games and since I quit that, I have no reason to even look at 4K televisions. Oh, I guess UHD BluRay....hehe.....nah.

The artifacting, with streamed content, is terrible and there is no over the air service.

So for me,...BIG MEH...

OTA works wonderfully well. The price is pretty good, too. About $35 for a cheap antenna, one time expense, and I've got limitless "streaming" of almost a hundred channels.

(Okay, "almost a hundred": About 80; rounding error. 20+ are Spanish. Of the 60 left, there are doubles/repeats. 30 total. 15 are children's programming. Of the other 15, there are some good things. So, "almost a hundred" means 15 "solid" channels.)

I took the dive into 4k as I all too often do with new display tech(although I have my doubts what I'll be able to afford with 8k when the time comes). We got two HDR10 displays, Optoma UHD60 projector and HiSense 55" TV. Also have two non-HDR displays, LG 31.9" 10bit monitor and LG 55" TV . Using a phillips 4k player w/ projector/LG TV and Samsung 4k w/ HiSense. Botth tv's and players have builtin apps that provide 4k streaming. Bottom line is that UHD/HD disc nearly always blows always streaming and we even have a 200mbps connection. Amazon/Netflix/Ultraflix all seemed to have improved color and in still shots looked nice but during action scenes the pixelation was pretty bad.

If they really want this took look good then more effort on the display chips to compensate otherwise streaming 4k or higher isn't any better than 1080i to me.

edit: Another example of compression compromises. Common issues with 4k are also the source/mastering(DI) and bit rate. A lackluster movie, Jupiter Ascending, was one of the few 4k discs released on 100GB disc. Even though it was technically a 2k DI it looks as good as some of the true 4k DI movies we've gotten. These issues have existed for awhile now. Remember SuperBit anyone? Unfortunately they're getting ridiculously convoluted with 3 hdrs and now more forthcoming video codecs.

Last edited:
Then you have the OTA broadcasters around here that like to take what was 1 Major network (or channel), split it to 3 1080I/720p streams (CBS, FOX, CW) + a 480i weather radar off the same transmitter ..... I think the original specs called for 1 1080i or 720p and a max of 3 480i/p streams....

Wikipedia .."A terrestrial (over-the-air) transmission carries 19.39 megabits of data per second (a fluctuating bandwidth of about 18.3 Mbit/s left after overhead such as error correction, program guide, closed captioning, etc.),"

The bit rate we get OTA for these 3 HD MPEG2 networks is around 5mbit...(variable), so sports even over the air are a block mess. Then you take what you can get through a cable company that re-compresses that and cuts the edges off the picture....our "HD" looks about 1 step above VHS....

So with that said I hope the OTA RULES state a Min bit rate that must be done for each resolution, I would take a Higher quality MEPG2 480P stream of 5mbit over a 720p or 1080I at 5mbit.

Back