Ultra Carbon Fiber Case

Wow, that is really cool.
I want one.

Wonder how much they'll cost. I can't imagine they'll be cheap.....

Looks really cool. Sad part it's probably heavier as it's probably aluminum with carbon layer or something else filling it up a little.

I wish they made the entire bezel carbon fiber too.

I have a wait and see attitude with this case, I see alot of mod potential, with the way the carbon fiber panels are just rivited on, I am thinking maybe getting some colored woven carbon/kevlar panels and replacing the stock ones, or even useing some other materials. but I got to see more pics to know if this is even possible.

I love it :D I think the only thing I would change would be the 80mm fan on the side I would have used 120mm. I think it looks nice though overall I just hope it's not expensive

I love it :D I think the only thing I would change would be the 80mm fan on the side I would have used 120mm. I think it looks nice though overall I just hope it's not expensive

i am willing to bet, that unless they use fake CF it is going to be expensive!

$10 says the case is made out of alu/steel/plastic with a vinyl carbon fiber sticker on it of sorts.

I'm sure it's real carbon fiber, it wouldn't be real hard to mold in flat shapes. I guessing the price will be around $500.

Looks ugly IMHO. And yes I do like the look of CF, just not the way it is on that case.

I'm sure it's real carbon fiber, it wouldn't be real hard to mold in flat shapes. I guessing the price will be around $500.

It better be less the 500 when I can get a VIS hood shipped for that. They're all flat pieces and carbon fiber isn't that hard to make, they're just using a vacuum mold. I can't see it going for over 300 at the most.

its not hard at all to have a flat, solid bit of cf. also with as little cf as they're using, the case, i will bet won't cost anymore than my tj09. Couple years back i bought 2sheets of cf at $50bucks a sheet......each were 3ftx3ft.

really, its not that hard at all for a company to construct, without having something sandwiched in the middle. Using the proper method, you and i could make a cf side panel for our own pc's.

i'd def get this, cept the fact i just got me a silverstone :rolleyes:

My guess for price would be around $250 to $350. There are more complex shaped car parts that use much more CF than that for around $400+. If they charged any more money than that, they are just plain retarted and looking for insane amounts of profit on a computer case. I'd make my own CF case before I paid over $300 for it. You can purchase the CF cloth fairly cheap, then cut it to the shape you want, and pour the resin over it to make whatever you want.

But, this is neat.. Just another option for the case modding community to choose from.

Nothing there really other than a link to the same article you linked to.

Actually there were some questions about how much/how the carbon fiber was handled...and madmat who has had some sort of experience with the prototypes commented on at least how they were constructed.

cf really isn't any differant than fiberglass. Like what ^ dude said, the fiber sheets are actually rather cheap. Get the shape you want, whip up some resin, then lay, resin, lay, resin, untill the shape is attained. Let stand and whallah, you got your very own carbon fiber whatever. Well theres some steps i've left out, its just to give an idea.

cf really isn't any differant than fiberglass. Like what ^ dude said, the fiber sheets are actually rather cheap. Get the shape you want, whip up some resin, then lay, resin, lay, resin, untill the shape is attained. Let stand and whallah, you got your very own carbon fiber whatever. Well theres some steps i've left out, its just to give an idea.

Exactly right. You can get the materials at any decent boat builder's marine supply shop. Take the guts from any computer case you've already got and layup some side panels for a start. Once you get the hang of it, you can make more complicated parts. Practice with cheaper fiberglass if you've never done any such stuff. Flat sheets can be layed out on any flat surface covered with non-stick plastic - even household wrap will do, but it's hard to keep from wrinkling. Search the web for fiberglass boatbuilding info and you can learn all you want.

You can blend in Kevlar, lay in graphics, do whatever your twisted little mind desires :D

I like this case...Looks EZ to cut with the Roto Zip.....
I would buy that...But not for 500 bucks....

I don't think cf is that easy to work with.

Check out this tank and how much time was involved.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145975

and thats understandable, cause he's combining materials, using dif methods, to make a very complex shaped item. Now, if you could once again take a look at Ultra's comp case, you'll see that there aren't any curves, dips, bulges and the like. Its simple, flat, pressed carbon sheets, then shapes are cut into said pieces.

Hardly the fraction, of complicated building techniques used in other items.

I have been on the lookout for this case since I heard about it. Looks like Ultra is holding back. Lots of pics of the case here.

well one thing is for sure it is pretty, i got a few idea buzzing about it, but price tag could determine it and if i can find someone to sell it too afterwards, i don't think i would keep it for mysefl

This case is actually quite amazing in person, they had a few of them at pdxlan recently. An interesting fact is that they are actually not going to be selling them to the public in carbon fiber. So don't expect any.

This case is actually quite amazing in person, they had a few of them at pdxlan recently. An interesting fact is that they are actually not going to be selling them to the public in carbon fiber. So don't expect any.

What do you mean by "they are actually not going to be selling them to the public in carbon fiber"? will the panels be made of something else? i also have been keeping an eye out for this case. If they come out with this case with cheaper panels of plastic or fiberglass that will be fine with me as I was thinking of getting one and just replacing the panels with colored Carbon fiber/Kevlar anyway. I love the look of real CF and theres no way to reproduce the look of it faithfully.

Well they were real carbon fiber, and quite stout at that, i think they were 3mm thick or could have been 3.5mm thick i'm not sure which.

What i meant is that Ultra is actually not selling the carbon fiber version to the public as just a case, they are getting into the OEM world similar to Alienware. They will be releasing a version of this case with aluminum, diamond plate steel, and possibly acrylic. The carbon fiber chassis is going to be reserved for the OEM, and if i remember the number correctly the carbon fiber case would have cost around $600-800. It really is a slick case.

yeah theres a big differance between molding a 3d shape in CF and just cutting a flat Cf panel. i was looking at this thread http://www.modders-inc.com/ftopict-1352.html and you can see they got rid of the front plastic piece and replaced it with CF. i cant wait to get my hands on oneof these as theres all kinds of possible mods one can do with this case considering its just a Cast Frame with flat panels screwed in place, those flat panels can be made of alot of differant materials from Fiberlgass, Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Plexi, Metal, Perferated Metal......

Back