ULMB users

Slade

2[H]4U
Just want to see how many [H] gamers are playing with ULMB. I've been using this feature since it was a "hack" before gsync was released and presently am using it natively on my setup. My main reason for ULMB is for FPS gaming. I remember the old days of CRT FPS competitive play.

Also note any weird quirks with it and solutions you've found.

My quirks seem to be that I lose ULMB when I exit games. Setting up the game to play in a windowed borderless mode seems to prevent ulmb from shutting off, but I prefer ulmb in game and my regular 2d usage.

Some videos show weird ghosting when not in fullscreen. My latest example was the end credits to last weeks Doctor Who where in windowed mode, it was ghosting the text as it scrolled up (double image of the text), but then in fullscreen mode, the text scrolled up fine. Not enough of a deal breaker for me to not use ULMB.

I tried it and it worked but I didn't enjoy the loss of brightness. Overall, I prefer GSync so I haven't used it besides the testing I did when I first got the monitor.

I found on my monitor I can get pretty close to the recommended brightness my spyder recommends for my room. I personally don't like a bright monitor, I find it strains the eyes a lot.

I like it. I use it mostly for fps games that run constant 60+ fps on my system. There is basically no brightness difference compared to how I have my screen normally setup (22 brightness, Asus PG278Q).

I switched from a FW900, so I use ULMB exclusively. My monitor is calibrated and without ULMB on it pierce's my eyes with the brightness.

The PG27UQ doesn't have ULMB, but I had mixed feelings about it with the PG278Q. The motion clarity was certainly nice, but the pulsing put the strain on my eyes even with the widest PWM setting. And with fixed refresh you would still get the occasional tearing, but it was made worse as it would double the image with ULMB on when it happened. G-Sync offers nearly the same amount of motion clarity but with none of the drawbacks, so I use it instead, in which case I can't say I miss it now that I have a PG27UQ.

I use it. I started using Lightboost with the old ASUS VG248QE. I currently use ULMB with the PG279Q monitor. I get plenty of brightness in the room I game in. I run at 120Hz refresh rate. Lightboost/ULMB is good enough that I finally got rid of my old CRT. Both monitors were calibrated. I used a corrections file with a program (CPKeeper) to keep it forced with the VG248QE. The out of the box calibration with the PG279Q was good enough that I don't need to do that.

Last edited:
I think having a calibration tool like a spyder 5 is very eye opening as to what we perceive as "correct color and brightness" and the reality. I use the spyder 5 elite which also does a room lighting check to adjust your monitor according to the light levels in the room relative to the screen's output. You'd be surprised to find that odds are you crank up brightness to make up for incorrect color balances and contrast ratios in order to see details. The subtle difference in black and grey colors on the [H] forum is neat to see when calibrated correctly vs not.

I tried it and did not like ULMB. It made my Monitor to dark. If I cap the fps on my games below my refresh rate by -3 and use g sync I get little to no input lag. It basically feels the same as ULMB with out the loss of brightness. Also on my Monitor I need to run it @ 120hz in order to use ULMB. And I prefer playing at 144hz.

I think there's a misconception of what ulmb does and what gsync does. They target different problems. ULMB is for reducing the blur that occurs during fast movement. gsync is for keeping a stable framerate sync b/w game and gpu. I feel old when I say I miss the old days of CRT and frame clarity at high fps.

Blurbusters has some demos of what high fps no ulmb tech looks like. Even at 240hz, there's a ton of blur around to do double/ghosting of images.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
I think there's a misconception of what ulmb does and what gsync does. They target different problems. ULMB is for reducing the blur that occurs during fast movement. gsync is for keeping a stable framerate sync b/w game and gpu. I feel old when I say I miss the old days of CRT and frame clarity at high fps.

Blurbusters has some demos of what high fps no ulmb tech looks like. Even at 240hz, there's a ton of blur around to do double/ghosting of images.
+1
If you don't like your monitor too bright, ULMB is awesome imho. Pretty much like a CRT.

I tried it and did not like ULMB. It made my Monitor to dark. If I cap the fps on my games below my refresh rate by -3 and use g sync I get little to no input lag. It basically feels the same as ULMB with out the loss of brightness. Also on my Monitor I need to run it @ 120hz in order to use ULMB. And I prefer playing at 144hz.

ULMB isn't about input lag at all. Monitors with the tech already have very low input lag as long as you use G-Sync or have V-Sync off. ULMB only works at 120 Hz but I can't really tell any significant difference to 144 Hz. ULMB is all about better motion clarity and it's apparent that everything looks more in focus during movement when using it. The compromise is not having the benefits of G-Sync (less obvious framerate fluctuations and no tearing).

For those who feel it's too dark, you must either have a lot of light coming into the room or run your displays at very bright settings normally. I feel my PG278Q at 22 brightness is still really bright in a dark room and enabling ULMB (with 100% brightness) looks exactly the same, just with better motion clarity.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
I've messed around with it and wasn't that impressed. I find that Gsync is a bigger deal, and of course they don't work together. If I could have both I'd try it but since it is one or the other, I take Gsync.

I'm going to give it a shot with my new TV and see if I like it there. It isn't called ULMB, but the TV has the same backlight strobing ability and does not have Gsync so I'll have to see how I like it. When I played with it briefly for Netflix I really didn't see any difference, but I'll have to see how it looks with games once I wire my computer in to it.

ULMB isn't about input lag at all. Monitors with the tech already have very low input lag as long as you use G-Sync or have V-Sync off. ULMB only works at 120 Hz but I can't really tell any significant difference to 144 Hz. ULMB is all about better motion clarity and it's apparent that everything looks more in focus during movement when using it. The compromise is not having the benefits of G-Sync (less obvious framerate fluctuations and no tearing).

For those who feel it's too dark, you must either have a lot of light coming into the room or run your displays at very bright settings normally. I feel my PG278Q at 22 brightness is still really bright in a dark room and enabling ULMB (with 100% brightness) looks exactly the same, just with better motion clarity.

Thanks for the feed back brother!

My samsung c27fg70 has a feature like ulmb but when enabled it disabled brightness settings and scorches my eyeballs being set so high.

The backlight on it are dc vs. Pwm from what the net says.

G-Sync offers nearly the same amount of motion clarity but with none of the drawbacks
I tried it and did not like ULMB. It made my Monitor to dark. If I cap the fps on my games below my refresh rate by -3 and use g sync I get little to no input lag. It basically feels the same as ULMB with out the loss of brightness.
G-sync has nothing to do with motion clarity and ULMB has nothing to do with input lag.

Back