UK University, ASK4 internet - 5 Mac Address limit, can I beat it?

DD_nVidia

Limp Gawd
Right, I'm going to university in like 2-3 weeks (move in the 11-13th September) and the company the provides the internet is a private firm, not the university.

They are ASK4 - http://www.ask4.com/students/

For free, you get 4Mbit, one MAC address authentication.

For £80+10 you get 25Mbit, and 4 extra MAC addresses, so 5 in total.

However, I have more than 5 devices. Gigabit switch, wifi access point, main rig, second rig, laptop, iPhone, 360, WDLive plus any virtual machines I'm running.

So, without knowing any more details on how their system works just now, can anyone advise a way around this 5 limit (and yes I asked first about paying £10 more for 9 in total but they can only do one, so their own fault, I would have happily paid)

Thanks guys :D

I'd start with the free service, see if everything works then go from there.

I'd start with the free service, see if everything works then go from there.

What makes you say that? I'd like the faster speed for faster downloads of files, games, plus the bigger upload for video and photos from my camera.

Because I'm technically paying for 6mbit yet I always get about 15-20mbit. I'm just suggesting to try it out first.

hmm.. yeah. I dunno how they manage speeds etc. yet. The folk are there on moving day so I'll hook stuff up first, but i still need multiple systems on the one connection though, which is my main problem atm.

get a router.
the ISP will never see the MAC addresses of any device except the router.

because it interferes with the system they have in place for issuing IP addresses. Its just an ethernet port in the wall.

because it interferes with the system they have in place for issuing IP addresses. Its just an ethernet port in the wall.

that makes no sense, tbh.

they do DHCP. Your router will receive an IP via ISP's DHCP server.

Then, your computers will receive an IP from your router, serving DHCP to the internal network.

The router essentially separates the 2 networks.
Their DHCP will not interfere with, nor be interfered by, DHCP running on your router for your LAN.

edit: okay, I see any type of NAT is against their TOS
3.1.7 not share or attempt to share the Service with any other person in any way except by allowing other people to use the Customer‘s Computer in the normal course. For the avoidance of doubt if the Customer uses any device or software that performs NAT, Address Masquerading or Proxying or in some other way attempts to allow more than one device to connect to the Network the Customer shall be considered in breach of this provision

sooooo yeah... can't really help you. Can't discuss ways of getting around a service provider's security measures.

Last edited:
A reason why they say no routers is because alot of people will just straight up hook it up wrong. Plugging in the wan from the wall to one of the local ports on their router and thus causing network issues. Now if they require a client to be installed then you will probably be screwed.

edit: and what j-sta said in his edit :)

Ohhh what? really is that in there!

Bawwwsss >_<

Why do they have to go be utter plebs and not let me pay another £10 >_<

Back