UK Universities Ban Watches in Exam Halls Ahead of Apple Watch Release

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Looks like some universities in the UK are getting a big jump on the upcoming flood of Smartwatches that will be released this year. Buzzfeed reports that several of the universities in the UK have already established policies on the non-use of smartwatchs in an exam setting, with many more expected to follow suit in the near future.

Students are already asked to place mobile phones in a plastic wallet under their desk, so we adopted the same procedure for watches. Students either don’t wear them to an exam venue, or they remove the watch in the venue and place it in the plastic wallet.

Good call...

Time to do that now...

Oh well, you know...

And they didn't do it when android one were popping up?

Guess they're having flashbacks to Jobs' quote.... "good artists copy; great artists steal" thinking Cook's will be "Good students study; great students cheat"
:p

I assume the ban would be depend on the class. I mean 25+ years ago in engineering school we used graphing calculators in some classes and also had some open book exams..

I assume the ban would be depend on the class. I mean 25+ years ago in engineering school we used graphing calculators in some classes and also had some open book exams..

Although back then the internet was not remotely what it is now and we did not have an easy wireless connection to it either.

They're assuming the apple watch would be smart enough to cheat off of.

By the time you did some fancy calculation, the battery would have died.

anyway, how are smart watches selling these days? Many people actually buying them?

That's funny, my University (in Canada) did this years ago. They banned all watches in exams and I graduated in 2009. They had been doing it for a while even when I started there!

Why? In the 90's Casio made a watch that was a personal organizer and could store a few KB of text, which is far more than enough to sneak the answers in to an exam. I think some other companies might have built something similar but that one watch alone was enough for them to institute a rule against them.

Back