UK City Forcing Taxi Drivers To Record All Passengers

Nanny state vs. No Nanny state is meaningless.

This is what needs to happen:

1.) You don't allow every muslim on Earth to immigrate to the UK and/or you don't change laws based on what those radical muslims want.

2.) You outlaw firearms in the US. Yeah, saying "I need a gun to protect myself and my property" sounds noble, but what are you really saying? "I need a gun so I can shoot anyone who bothers me or steps on my land." Cause that's all guns are good for - shooting people! And since shooting people is not legal, not even pointing a gun towards them - how is owning a gun legal? What, for the once in a lifetime event that someone tries to steal something from you? Just give it to them!

/my views

Meh. It's too late in the day to retort back with something clever about your "just bend over and take it" statement...

... Another day perhaps... ;)

2.) You outlaw firearms in the US. Yeah, saying "I need a gun to protect myself and my property" sounds noble, but what are you really saying? "I need a gun so I can shoot anyone who bothers me or steps on my land." Cause that's all guns are good for - shooting people! And since shooting people is not legal, not even pointing a gun towards them - how is owning a gun legal? What, for the once in a lifetime event that someone tries to steal something from you? Just give it to them!

/my views

How about the uneducated don't make decisions for others? If you don't feel responsible enough to own a gun (and based on your feelings on using them to shoot trespassers or to solely protect private property, you probably shouldn't) then don't buy one. Other law abiding citizens can be free to purchase them if they choose to do so. The law, whether banning or allowing firearms to be purchased by law abiding citizens, has little effect on criminals obtaining firearms outside of making them slightly more expensive if banned, especially with such loose borders to Mexico. The violent crime rate among civilian concealed weapon permit holders is among the lowest of any demographic, even the police.

If someone wants to take my possessions in a non-violent/stealthy manner they may do so and face the legal repercussions of such actions. If someone wishes to threaten violence upon myself or my family to steal or do any other activity, they can face the repercussions of whatever weapon I desire to use. That is within the law, and as a law abiding citizen, I am free to react in such a way, within the state in which I reside.

But back to topic, I have no problem with taxi companies installing such devices, as long as the recording capabilities are posted clearly on both the outside and interior of the cab. I even applaud their use, as a deterrent, which I believe to be beneficial. If I don't wish to have my conversation recorded, I can choose a taxi service which doesn't record it's customers. I only have a problem with the government stepping in and requiring the devices, as it serves to remove choice from it's citizens. I can guarantee that there will be no cameras recording conversations in the lawmaker's chauffeured cars.

If those Brits are fine with it, then I see no problem with it. I just know that it would NOT fly here in the US as the majority of people would not be cool with it. After all, how in the HELL am I supposed to pick my nose while driving with that damn camera on all the time?

Stupid, England is a country full of wimps. They have gun bans, yet their crime rate has soared.

We are fortunate to have the Second Amendment, and the right to open carry and concealed carry.

I live in england and I wouldnt give any of the nutters here guns, this country is full of tossers. Also considering the drinking culture we have and the type of crime we get, it would not be a wise idea to open up the gun laws. Dont get me wrong I have nothing against guns or gun owners but knowing my country its not a good idea.

I think it is a great idea putting the cameras in Taxis, it doesnt just protect the taxi driver but it also gives some protection to the customer. In England we have problems with taxi drivers ripping people off and taking them the wrong routes for extra money even mugging and some cases raping people who ride in Taxis.

At the moment there are camera's everywhere in built up areas. Personally I dont care about the camera's, but I do mind the scum who are regularly caught because of them.

It's pretty shitty if drivers have to eat the cost, but the benefits are pretty good. A cab driver in the UK avoided rape charges because he recorded a group of girls plotting against him because they didn't want to pay their cab fare. They went so far to report the false rape that resulted in the police taking the cab driver in for questioning, but the video exonerated him. If he didn't have that it would have been his word against theirs and probably would be in jail right now.

I don't think it'll prevent a lot of crime though since some people just won't give a damn. Look at all the fights that break out on school buses despite them knowing they're on video. Dumb people do dumb things, regardless of accountability.

Bottom line is that there will be tangible benefits for drivers, but it's not a magic bullet for preventing all crime.

england wants a colonoscopy installed on every corner. they already have cameras everywhere and still have high crime rates.

Because cameras do fuck all to deter crime. Knowing that any citizen can be packing heat and drop your ass if you try to mug/rob/beat/kill/rape them? It just plain works.

I live in england and I wouldnt give any of the nutters here guns, this country is full of tossers. Also considering the drinking culture we have and the type of crime we get, it would not be a wise idea to open up the gun laws. Dont get me wrong I have nothing against guns or gun owners but knowing my country its not a good idea.

You are making some very bad assumptions, and you arent looking at the whole picture. The only things gun bans do is ensure disarmed targets for criminals, who already had illegal guns anyway, and still do.

And as far as "nutters" or "tossers" go, do you really think them having a gun would enable them to do anything they cant already do? Someone like that could cause alot more damage with say.... a stolen fuel truck than they ever could with any firearm.

You really have to consider the bigger picture.

This seems like one of those common sense laws. Most of the Taxis I have seen already do this, for their own protection. Even though its a good idea, I wouldn't want the government forcing people to do it.

Smoke detectors save lives, but I wouldn't want the government to send firefighters into my house on a monthly basis to make sure I have them.

england wants a colonoscopy installed on every corner. they already have cameras everywhere and still have high crime rates.
what you think they want to come over here the might fight/shoot back... most likely shoot.:D

/my views

You're a moron. By the way, where do you live, so I can come take all your stuff?

1.) You don't allow every muslim on Earth to immigrate to the UK and/or you don't change laws based on what those radical muslims want.

/my views

I respectfully submit that I have many many friends who have firearms and have not used them on people once. Paper, hard drives, metal plates, critters, and game animals, perhaps, but not shooting people.

Back