• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

uhmm i am very confused

Joined
Nov 7, 2003
Messages
928
well i got my dad's 2.8c P4 system built with an Abit AI7 motherboard and the said processor and 512mb corsair (not value stuff) pc3200 ram. Well i was pretty anxious to see what it could do with my radeon 9800 pro so i put that in and it gets, uhm, only 15k on Aquamark whereas i was getting 25k with my Athlon XP 1700+ system with 1024mb sdram. microATX motherboard and everything in my system. (my friend gets 30k with his radeon 9800 pro and Barton 2500+ and Abit Nf7-s v2) what the hell is going on? The processor is not underclocked (or overclocked) it is running at 2.81 Ghz, with hyper-threading on. i remember the timings for the ram while i was in bios, i believe that they were 3-3-8-3. the stuff was advertised as cas latency of 2.5. I im just wondering if this is really all that this processor can do or if there is something that i am missing because, obviously, something is very wrong here... Any suggestions?
 
Try setting the ram to 2.5-3-3-8 and then make sure AA and AF are not on for Aquamark. That seems like the only reason why you'd be getting such a low score.

Have you tried 3D Mark 2001 or 2003?

With a setup like that, you should be getting around 17000 in 2001SE, and around 5500 in 2003, I think.

Make sure you're running the latest Catalyst drivers, make sure that the old drivers were properly removed (Driver Cleaner) and make sure that the chipset drivers are in.

You might also have to switch the AGP to 8x in the BIOS, it's usually defaulted to 4x.
 
agp is 8x, 3.9 cats, this is a brand new installation of XP pro, just reformatted. i do have aa and af all the way up as i always have but i'll try turning them down and see what happens, i guess i will try the RAM timings also. I think that, either i got a bad stick of ram, or p4 systems are really hindered this badly without dual-channel? oh and i do not have SP1 installed yet i think, would this be a factor?
 
Originally posted by Seraphim974
agp is 8x, 3.9 cats, this is a brand new installation of XP pro, just reformatted. i do have aa and af all the way up as i always have but i'll try turning them down and see what happens, i guess i will try the RAM timings also. I think that, either i got a bad stick of ram, or p4 systems are really hindered this badly without dual-channel? oh and i do not have SP1 installed yet i think, would this be a factor?

All fingers point to SP1. Get your rig updated, man. Unless you're on a corp lan, you have a little security risk without updates for Windows yet.
 
the aa and af affect to a degree my scores but i scored 25k before with everything up so that is not what is causing this. I also lowered my timings on my ram and overclocked my processor a bit and still no difference. :(
 
install SP1 and perhaps DirectX 9.0b. I think that'll have a nice impact on your results.
 
Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
All fingers point to SP1. Get your rig updated, man. Unless you're on a corp lan, you have a little security risk without updates for Windows yet.
Yes and make sure you have the latest chipset drivers, BIOS, and direct x 9.0b while you're at it.
 
and make sure you install everything in the correct order

windows
service packs
chipset drivers
direct x
video card drivers
lan drivers
sound et all
 
fresh windows install, just downloaded and installed SP1 last night, installed all chipset drivers and audio and lan drivers that came with the motherboard, installed directx 9.0b when i installed Call of Duty, have ATI catalyst 3.9 drivers for my video card (what i have always used). This is extremely frustrating because it is beginning to seem as though everything that can be done has been done. What could i have possibly have missed?

I was wondering about whether a dual-channel ram configuration is really that important because my 512 mb of ram is all in one stick. I have seen people actually buy 2 sticks of 256mb just so that they could run them in dual-channel. Maybe i should get an identical stick and see if that will increase my scores by 15k in aquamark if i run it in dual-channel with my existing module?

Also, would it make that much of an improvement going from catalyst 3.9 to 4.2? Because i have had problems with the 4.2s before and uninstalled them.
 
I wouldn't think dual channel would affect it that much. I was running in single channel with the system in my sig and I still get a 21000 score in Aquamark.

You should update the chipset drivers, Windows with latest service packs like everyone said, and BIOS if you feel like it.


Are you running the test with much higher resolutions than you did on the Athlon system? That might affect it too.

Also, catalyst 4.3s are out, and while that might not be a good solution, I think it improves aquamark performance slightly.
 
the resolution is at 1024 x 768 just like my old setup, i haven't changed anything in aquamark. perhaps i will look into some newer chipset drivers when I get home, if there are any.

also, thermal throttling is set to 50% in BIOS so would that mean that if the processor wasn't being cooled sufficiently that it would run at 50% power to keep from generating dangerous amounts of heat? should i remount my heatsink? the CPU temp is 44 C after running aqumark and installing drivers and things...
 
I don't really have any more ideas except:

1) try swapping what parts you can with your system
2) try other benchmarks

I just ran aquamark on my system for comparison purposes and I got around 39k, so you should be able to get that from your dad's system.
 
Originally posted by EnderW
I don't really have any more ideas except:

1) try swapping what parts you can with your system
2) try other benchmarks

I just ran aquamark on my system for comparison purposes and I got around 39k, so you should be able to get that from your dad's system.
I get 25k with my system:
P4 1.6a@2GHz
768MB RDRAM <--can you say slow?
Radeon 9800, stock clock.

Your dad's p4 should be able to stomp all over mine. Dual channel does make a big difference in memory bandwidth for P4s (which are pretty memory hungry), however it should still be much faster than my computer. Hmm...try running memtest, prime95, and other things that check for errors?
 
Back
Top