Uhhh.... I just got my 37" Westinghouse LCD.... I'm in love!

lqsilver

n00b
Hi guys, I don't post on here much, but i figured to make a post this time in honor of my new investment :)

A note to anyone who has been thinking about getting this monitor........ DO IT! you won't be sorry. Its only been like 3 hours since I got it and there is still a giant smile on my face. I can't wait until the parts for my new system arrives so I can finally play games in 1920x1080.

Anyway here's a pic I snapped a few mins ago on my temporary desk. enjoy.

1920x1080 for a 37" LCD? ..

Didnt know they make larger than 37" LCDs for comps...(not TVs..)
And something that large, wouldnt it require dual-link DVI w/ a really high resolution??

Just curious.... :confused:

As for requiring Dual Link DVI it doesnt matter if its 20inches or 400. Its the res that matters 1920x1200 doesn't require dual link. There is plenty of bandwidth on the single link DVI to handle that.

DangerIsGo said:

And something that large, wouldnt it require dual-link DVI w/ a really high resolution??

It is a TV that a lot of people have found out that it works very well as a monitor too. It is the Westinghouse 37 in. LCD TV (Link) I would love one personally, but i need a new comp before i can even run the thing, but yeah, good investment, Have fun with it! ;)

DangerIsGo said:

It's a TV, and the highest resolution TV you can get at that. Nothing over the air is higher than 1080i since it just fills the bandwidth there is for OTA HDTV. This monitor(called such because it doesn't have a tuner) can support 1080p via DVI. So, just gotta get a BluRay player that supports 1080p output (which I think they all do right now) and a 1080p BD movie and you'll enjoy the best quality there is right now. There's no HD-DVD player that supports anything higher than 1080i at the moment.

Goddamn... if a refurb is $1200 I shudder to think how much a brand new one costs... :eek:

Sexy though...

I'm afraid that would be too much damn real estate for my eyes to look at all day. Especially while gaming.

Yea its both really. Its a Tv that can be used as a monitor, or its a 1920x1080 monitor that also can support hdtv with an external tuner. Bottom line is it looks absolutely stupid beautiful using it as my computer display :D

When I first plugged this baby in (aside from getting an instant tan from the radiation and the pool of drool on my carpet) I thought I made a mistake and got something that was just too big. It look me about 30 mins to get used to it and now I don't think I can ever go back to a regular monitor or lcd ever again.

I played half-life 2 all over again last night. I initially fired it up just to test out widescreen gaming and the next thing I noticed was that its 4am and I am 3/4 done with the game! I got the screen door effect disorientation for a bit trying to get used to the size, its like you are right in the action!; but dont worry you get used to it in about 30 mins. The screen realestate is absolutely worth it. Im happy I didnt go for the dell 30" and got the westy instead.

here is another pic (funny) that I took of my buddy when he came over to check it out. You will have to excuse the goofyness, we were both a little drunk heh.

I really can't see myself using that for day-to-day desktop usage, but it does look sweet playing games.

I can't wait for it to arrive in Canada. Damn Best Buy is taking its sweet time :mad:

Thread title needs to be changed to:
Got My 37" Westy!! its huge ..Pics!!

There is already a big Westy page a while back, but if no one starts one by the time I get mine then I'll do it :D

I'm going for the gold... 50"... it's a TV of course ;)

if that's ur previous monitor before that westy there in the background, i can see why you're so excited. :p

very nice monitor/tv.

Really those monitors are crap. I'm gonna help you out as a friend and fellow HardOCP member and trade you my Dell 2005FPW for it. :D

Congrats man, awesome buy.

i can tell you guys right now that photo doesnt do justice to the size of that westy, it actually looks a lot bigger in person. i know cause i just got a 32" samsung hdtv and using it for comp,( its not called a monitor cause it has analog and digital tuner in it) and after i took a pic of it, it doesnt look THAT MUCH different than my 24" lcd. it does takes a big of getting used to even coming from a 24" lcd. but the res is not as high as I'd like, currently 1366 x 768, but currently thats the max for 32 inches, but gaming on that is heavenly. a 32" is a bit big for me and i hang it on a wall, i can't imagine putting a 37 on my desktop :eek:

Nice LCD. Too bad the price tag is too big for my pocket. Maybe in a couple of years. =]

And for the love of god, please get yourself a new keyboard and mice. You droped over 1 large on a monitor, I'm sure you can afford a decent keyboard/mice set!!!!

Actually they aren't all that much more than the 2405FPW was when it first came out. $1199 for that thing and I've seen these get down to $1499 @ BB.

u8myrice said:
Nice LCD. Too bad the price tag is too big for my pocket. Maybe in a couple of years. =]

And for the love of god, please get yourself a new keyboard and mice. You droped over 1 large on a monitor, I'm sure you can afford a decent keyboard/mice set!!!!

LOL QTF. This man speaks the truth.

I already felt like my 20 incher is great... Grats man. I've seen 30" dell at my work and already am impress. 7 inches more.... phew.

Is that a Ratpad you are using? Come on, that pad is a disgrace to the monitor. Get yourself a Func, Steelpad or an eXactMat.

krameriffic said:
Is that a Ratpad you are using? Come on, that pad is a disgrace to the monitor. Get yourself a Func, Steelpad or an eXactMat.
Func /pwnz!!11

Anyways, I recently bought a Samsung 244T and I think I am becoming desensitized to the size! LOL

Eventually I may go for a 32"+ screen, but now I think I will wait since alot of very cool things are coming in the next year or so...HDMI/DVI ver 1.3, LED backlighting/HDR displays, HDCP on vid cards, LCD panel prices coming down, etc.

nice buy. i actually got the 42 inch westy when it went on sale for 1499 a week or two back and i love it too. westy definitely has great quality and features for the price. i have to sit farther back than you do from your 37 though. good buy though, the 37s are great monitors, especially for gaming.

I saw the 42" Westy at Best Buy hooked up to a Toshiba HD-DVD player.

That was the most amazing picture I've ever seen on a TV. It was like looking through a window at real life action. I could be very happy with one of those.

I'm wondering if that's about as good as it gets for a while or is there something else coming down the road.

Cygnus_X1 said:
I saw the 42" Westy at Best Buy hooked up to a Toshiba HD-DVD player.

That was the most amazing picture I've ever seen on a TV. It was like looking through a window at real life action. I could be very happy with one of those.

I'm wondering if that's about as good as it gets for a while or is there something else coming down the road.

And you weren't watching 1080p, at best, 1080i but more than likely, upscaled 720p content. When they hook up a BluRay player with a 1080p movie, then it'll be really bitchin'. But I'd still rather have HD-DVD over BR.

I got the dell 2005fpw over a year ago and I've enjoyed it for quite a while.... Although it does seem to get smaller and smaller daily... I think getting the 2407 would only hold me over for a little while till it gets to small, so i've been thinking of getting the 37'' westinghouse... might have to go to BB and check it out

LittleMe said:
And you weren't watching 1080p, at best, 1080i but more than likely, upscaled 720p content. When they hook up a BluRay player with a 1080p movie, then it'll be really bitchin'. But I'd still rather have HD-DVD over BR.

HD-DVD is 1080i right now.

BluRay is 1080p, but I heard the first gen movies are using the old school MPEG2 compression instead of MPEG4 (H.264), so they do not look as good as they should.

Plus...knowing the laziness of most retail stores, they were probably using component video instead of HDMI/DVI for the connections LOL

mike_j_johnson said:
HD-DVD is 1080i right now.

BluRay is 1080p, but I heard the first gen movies are using the old school MPEG2 compression instead of MPEG4 (H.264), so they do not look as good as they should.

Plus...knowing the laziness of most retail stores, they were probably using component video instead of HDMI/DVI for the connections LOL

Didn't know about the differences in which codec they're using. At any rate, BluRay still has the lead right now since they're outputting 1080p. I hope that changes soon because I really want to see HD-DVD win.

Lol wow guys you are all quick to comment on the mouse and keyboard. haha First of thats not me in the picture thats my best bud, hes a little drunk, and when I took the picture it was right after he was jumping around yelling "wtf" after seeing the monitor. Second, im in a transition period at the moment. I have a whole new pc system on the way from newegg; should arrive next week. I just happened to get the monitor this week before I have a chance to upgrade everything else. I have a nice 2 tone benq x700pro keyboard and mx1000 fast rf wireless mouse on the way with a func surface mousepad, in addition to a nice new shuttle sn25p amd dual core system + Ati x1900xt . So everyone can take a breath, im not keeping the crappy keyboard and mouse that I have now lol. :D

I have been using mine for about a week now as a TV and am really enjoying, well my wife is realling enjoying it. I have been thinking about ordering two more, one for the bedroom and one for my desk.

those monitors are real sweet for gaming but for everyday use..im 17 right now..if i had one i be blind by the age of 20..
congrats man!

LittleMe said:
Didn't know about the differences in which codec they're using. At any rate, BluRay still has the lead right now since they're outputting 1080p. I hope that changes soon because I really want to see HD-DVD win.
It's because the size of Bluray is bigger than HD, so it can put the 1080p while the HD only can take 1080i for a movie on 1 disc.

Back