• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Uh Oh

Mj23foreva

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
112
I accidently smudged some thermal compound on the wrong side of the CPU. It didnt touch the cores, just the little metal dots thats all over the backside of the cpu. Should I be worried?
 
Thats a big YES!

Most if not all thermal compounds are electrically conductive.

I'm not sure how best to clean that side of the cpu but definitely don't plug it in until you've cleaned it thoroughly and allowed it to dry
 
hhahahah were you high? how do you do that?

Clean the cpu with rubbing alcohol, let it dry and pray to the bong gods
 
Just clean it off real well with some alcohol....preferably not scotch
 
haha no I wasnt high, i was reseating the heatsink and I took out the cpu to wipe off the tim and I didnt notice that i had got some on my finger and touched the back...I well I used some rubbing alchohol and it works fine...still have the same heat issues as before I reseated though, but now I dont know if its because I of the cpu or the heatsink...anyway I ordered a sunbeam ccf and if I still have heat issues I'll exchange the CPU.
 
Thats a big YES!

Most if not all thermal compounds are electrically conductive.

Not exactly true. AS5, while containing silver, is slightly capacitive, not conductive. There are some copper and silver based TIM's that are conductive though. TIM's like MX-2, TX-2 and Shin Etzu are not conductive or capacitive. Most of your generic thermal greases, like those included with processors, are oil or polysynthetic based and should not be conductive. Although it's still a good idea to keep any TIM away from pins and traces.
 
i dont know if alcohol will clean it (it might). use some acetone, or naptha. (lighter fluid or nail polish remover)
 
Yeah, I'd use a clean, lint free cloth first and get the majority of it off, then follow up with a light wipe with nail polish remover then some alcohol. I've seen acetone based solvents leave a slight residue.

Say NO to residue, YES to resin. LOL :)
 
Yeah, I'd use a clean, lint free cloth first and get the majority of it off, then follow up with a light wipe with nail polish remover then some alcohol. I've seen acetone based solvents leave a slight residue.

Say NO to residue, YES to resin. LOL :)

Resin is fucking dirty man. Lol.

But yes, pure acetone is probably the best IMO... It's always 99% pure, and has a higher polarity than alcohol, therefore it cleans it in a single pass.
 
Back
Top