• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Uh-oh...?

clean_me

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
375
I bought one of those CMOY amps and I had my headphones plugged in and unknown to me the amp volume knob at 100%, so I got BLASTED by my HD650's for what seemed like eternity (probably 2s). So I got everything figured out, turned the amp back on and I get feedback. Quiet feedback but enough to be annoying when not listening to anything, but I can also hear the feedback in the 'background' of some songs. I tried two setups and I'll try my iPod soon but here's what I tested.

Powermac G5 headphone jack->cable->cmoy->hd650's

then

Powermac G5 optical port->toslink->z6800->headphone jack->cable->cmoy->hd650's

Soooooooo did I break the little guy!? Or maybe I need a better source -mp3 player?

Brad

EDIT: I'm thinking it may be my 'cable'-the mini-to-mini cable. It looks pretty wimpy, I'll take a picture but it looks iPodesque, white plugs with grey a cord.

EDIT #2: I think this is the mini to mini I've got:
cord.jpg
...but it's not gold plated... or check here Apple Store-Belkin thingy
 
What amp you ask? -does this make sense Micro Cmoy Headphone Amp - opamp2227?

And by feedback I mean static, fuzziness etc.?

Thanks,

Brad
 
You have feedback because you don't have any source coming through the line.

When you turn the amp on, it will try to amplify what it has as input. If it doesn't have input then there will still be little amounts of noise on the line that will get amplified as the 'feedback' you hear. The solution is to not leave your amplifier on when you aren't playing anything through it.

Now if the noise is there when you are playing music, that is a different problem, and the amp may have a wiring problem.
 
Ahhhhhhh okay that makes sense. I'll listen closer to my music, maybe I was just listening to bad mp3's. If it's a wiring problem-what would/should I look for?

Brad
 
When you turn the amp on, it will try to amplify what it has as input. If it doesn't have input then there will still be little amounts of noise on the line that will get amplified as the 'feedback' you hear. The solution is to not leave your amplifier on when you aren't playing anything through it.

Not quite but I do have to give you some credit because that is a pretty entertaining hypothesis. :p

If it's a wiring problem-what would/should I look for?

An envelope.
Send it back to where you got it and tell the person that built it to fix it.
 
Back
Top