Uh Oh, I don't even think the computer Gods can help me

Trinitrotoluene

Limp Gawd
I will try to be as detailed as possible for the problem I encountered, in hope that one of you may offer a miracle solution. I recently purchased a 320gb SATA drive which I tried to install today. I had to first purchase a molex to SATA power adapter.

Steps of what I did:

1. Turned off power suppy, grounded myself, opened case, inserted new 320gb hard drive.
2. Plugged in power adapter to drive, hooked cable to second SATA slot on my MSI K8T800 NEO socket 754 motherboard.
3. Closed the case, turned power swith on, booted computer

At the point where it detects devices, it shows both my older 160GB maxtor SATA drive detected, along with the new seagate 320gb drive. However, the screen stalls and goes nowhere. My next step is to reboot the computer and try to access the bios by pressing delete, however, I could not open up the bios as it stuck on the same screen again. At this point I was somewhat befuddled, so I decided to unhook the new SATA drive and see what would happen. It stalled again

At this point I decided to clear CMOS and see if I could access the bios again. When I booted up, I got "Bios Not Installed". I have had this before after clearing CMOS and it just requires that you need to disable the Promise SATA controller on the mobo within the bios. I restarted again and kept pressing delete to try to access the bios and nothing happened. The only time I thought I had it was when I pressed delete and a new screen appeared that looked like the bios but everything was pixelated and you could not make out what anything said.

I don't know what to do now :( I hope I didn't short the damn thing out and ruin the hard drives and everything else

start from the basics and only use 1 stick of ram, video card and cpu. also, make sure that nothing is touching the motherboard. one of my pci slot covers was touching my asus p4p800 once and the thing wouldn't boot at all. you can also try switching up the ram slots. just gota keep trying stuff ;)

omz said:
start from the basics and only use 1 stick of ram, video card and cpu. also, make sure that nothing is touching the motherboard. one of my pci slot covers was touching my asus p4p800 once and the thing wouldn't boot at all. you can also try switching up the ram slots. just gota keep trying stuff ;)

it worked, thanks! I just picked each piece apart and it finally worked. I still don't know what it was though

Trinitrotoluene said:
it worked, thanks! I just picked each piece apart and it finally worked. I still don't know what it was though

You weren't holding your tongue right. :)

ryan_975 said:
You weren't holding your tongue right. :)

ok the problem is weird, the computer will only boot up and allow access to the bios if I have my logitech speaker mini jack plugged into the motherboard sound input. Grounding issue right? What do I look for?

Back