Uh oh... Dead iPod?

asyork

2[H]4U
I wasn't able to get my iPod to play, update, or even be recognized by my PB for a couple days. Today I decided to run the HD scan on it, and got this error:

HDD FAIL
0X00000070
READ FAIL

Is the iPod dead, or is there something that can be done about it? The warranty is long gone as it is a 3g from 1.5 years ago... I'm really going to miss it :(

with out apple care on the ipod no..there probably isn't anything that can be done on it...sorry :(

the replacement charge is $250. for these. but there have been people who have put third party drives in their iPods.

just think, you could have a 30GB iPod that in the slimmer 3g form factor. (y)

I did check pricewatch and found a 20 gig 1.8" ATA drive that should fit and might work for $130

I've been on some Mac forums before, and they always yell at people for wanting to swap their iPod's drives. They said it was impossible, but I guess you can try...

I might look into that after Christmas when I have some more money. I'll probably go for something over 20 gigs because I have more than 20 gigs of music. 30 sounds nice, and I think I may have seen a 40 gig that would fit as well.

It is really disappointing that something that cost me $400 only lasted 1.5 years. I've taken pretty decent care of it too...

I like this route. cost on a drive is about 120+ right?
you can sell the broken Ipod on ebay for about 150 or so.

you can pick up a NEW ipod for about 300.

so it might be better to sell the dead one, to help pay for a new one. Cost will be about the same if not a little more, but it will be a new ipod...

I haven't checked before, and don't have time right now, but could I really sell a dead 15 gb 3g iPod on ebay for $150?

Back