Ugrading From Vista 32bit to Vista 64bit?

ward148

n00b
Sorry I'm a complete newb. I had Comp USA install Vista ultimate retail on my computer now I'm thinking of upgrading to the 64bit version. my question is how do i go about doing this? I hate to pay someone to install it again. Do I uninstall the 32bit vision first or do i just put the 64bit CD in and the installation well self guide its self? Any helpful information would be great. Thanks

if you are a complete newb i'd probley recommend sticking to 32bit vista. 64 bit has much less driver support, and all drivers have to be WHQL certified, breaking many programs. There is really no advantage to 64 bit vista other than addressing 4 gigs of ram properly. Stick with 32bit.

Well, with all due respect, if you pay CompUSA to install an operating system for you, 64-bit Windows would probably not be a good idea.

Unless you know you absolutely need it, I'd stick with 32-bit Vista.

I agree with what the above two are saying. How much did you have to pay CompUSA? OS installs are very simple, so I'm sure the answer will make me cringe. this is going to sound like I'm being an ass, but if you needed someone else to install the OS for you, what is leading you to believe you need the 64 bit version?

vista is as easy to install as any os can get, you dont need to pay someone to do it.

vista is as easy to install as any os can get, you dont need to pay someone to do it.

QFT. Backup your data. Put the dvd in the drive and reboot. Follow the on screen instructions and you'll be back in Windows after 20 mins or so. HOWEVER -- You will need to reinstall all of your applications and prior to doing ANYTHING, make sure you can get 64 bit drivers for all of your hardware.

people say the 64bit edition is safer, more secured. i have the 64bit, mainly because i have 4gb of ram and i like to stay updateded. new software for 64bit is coming out almost daily, imo.

it isnt any more safe then 32bit, i think it is just the approve drivers addition is a little more tight then 32bit.

I'd stay with 32bit for now. I don't think the mainstream computer population is ready for 64bit yet, mainly because driver support is still very limited.

If you use a wireless network then the answer is simple... 32bit!!!

Back