Ugly GPUs

^ U sure about that, I had a Winfast with a single slot design and despite the copper, it was completely shit, it didn't take long for me to replace it with those Zalman 3rd party coolers, what a difference in temps! (I believe it dropped around 20~23C) I might still have the copper crap Winfast cooler lying around somewhere in a drawer collecting dust, it was probably the worst fan they could have placed on it. The 2 slot coolers on the other hand were probably pretty decent though but the single slot design with the smaller cooler made it simply not effective enough at moving air around.

leadtek-5800u-front.jpg

leadtek-5800u-scan-front-with-cooler.jpg

At least winfast was using 2 slot copper coolers when reference designs were single slot aluminum

They were also a lot cheaper. They were the cards I would just stare at and dream of owning. Growing up poor made me appreciate the budget brands a lot more.

They were also a lot cheaper. They were the cards I would just stare at and dream of owning. Growing up poor made me appreciate the budget brands a lot more.

I ran an Opteron and a Leadtek Winfast K8NW when all the cool kids were running FX51s and SK8N/SK8Vs.... still was awesome though!

I remember some of these ugly ass cards. Even had several of them. I had almost forgotten about the mascot cards Ruby and whatever chick Nvidia came up with for that series.

I guess all my budget minded purchases have prevented me from owning any of these atrocities. Thanks for showing all these off guys, I had a good laugh.

I remember some of these ugly ass cards. Even had several of them. I had almost forgotten about the mascot cards Ruby and whatever chick Nvidia came up with for that series.
old dawn (fx series)

nvidia_dawn_3x_wallpaper_by_deviantnoisemaker.jpg

new dawn (kepler)

attachment.jpg

oh and dusk too

maxresdefault.jpg

Ok here are a couple of FX5900s.. MSI and Chaintech. I think the chaintech might be a 5950 ultra..

4C615A32-927B-43ED-996C-1092546E8AA5.jpeg 1D002C23-CE84-4DEE-A266-2521F94C430E.jpeg

Reflectivity from the shadow boxes.. arg!!

A few more

PNY FX5700. Purple and gold FTW. ;)
C5F62FEF-A657-4D54-A575-DCD0C41B16F3.jpeg

Chaintech GeForce3... bling edition.
26C96418-7628-4323-B23E-492B27DAC188.jpeg

My only FX5800 (non ultra)
E2518626-AE66-4514-9D8E-5FCEB14786BB.jpeg

And this fucker was dirty as all hell.. I took it apart and cleaned everything. I believe it’s an FX5950.
C8496064-5B09-4E2F-9F01-1FF16C7FF21F.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok here are a couple of FX5900s.. MSI and Chaintech. I think the chaintech might be a 5950 ultra..

View attachment 82104 View attachment 82105

Reflectivity from the shadow boxes.. arg!!

A few more

PNY FX5700. Purple and gold FTW. ;)
View attachment 82110

Chaintech GeForce3... bling edition.
View attachment 82111

My only FX5800 (non ultra)
View attachment 82112

And this fucker was dirty as all hell.. I took it apart and cleaned everything. I believe it’s an FX5950.
View attachment 82113

Are those all in display cases? If they are we need more pics! I’ve wanted to do this with the cards I’ve owned, especially the early pre pci-e era cards.

Reactions: erek
like this
Well, if stock isn't a requirement.... Nobody makes a liquid cooler for the Gigabyte RX480 Gaming card, so I made one myself. Final is a little smaller (after I found my other angle fittings). Runs great, overclocks a treat, silent operation, UNATTRACTIVE.

WP_20180315_19_20_34_Pro.jpg

Na, but green is my favorite color currently. it used to be White because in art class i was told it represented all of the colors, but green is overall more relaxing and soothing to me
aha ATI red for me.....x800XT .....that 5700 though

I won a contest from some pc gaming mag back in the day and was supposed to get x800 something (don’t remember specifically), which but by the time I actually got turne into x1600 pro and was most likely weaker than what I was supposed to get. Didn’t matter though, as I had an agp-based system and being a university student then, I didn’t have the money for a completely new system. Ended up selling it. Though not being ugly, that card was definitely not a beauty either. That was the last card from the red team that I ever owned lol.

Are those all in display cases? If they are we need more pics! I’ve wanted to do this with the cards I’ve owned, especially the early pre pci-e era cards.

Hey... Yes I have them all in display cases I got at the Container Store

Display case

Lucite Stand 5 inch version (scroll down)

Turn the box so large face is forward. The older cards fit fine... I had to prop some of the ends up with small bits of tygon tubing cut to make them level.. Just make it work however. :)

This radeon 1900xt is about the largest card that I got to fit.. There's still a little space though.

IMG_3505.jpg

Does not qualify as an ugly gpu though.. Slick looking card.

Last edited:
I actually like the sheer ATI fan shrouds. I liked seeing all the copper and fan blades. Always wished my x1800XT had them.

The only real ugly thing I ever owned was the Foxconn x38A board. If you ever try running these cards, make sure it's on this board. Yuck.

board-big.jpg

Na, but green is my favorite color currently. it used to be White because in art class i was told it represented all of the colors, but green is overall more relaxing and soothing to me

Go easy on the drugs, man.

View attachment 82268

White is all of the colors being reflected back to your eye... “represents” irks me for some reason lol.

I might have an old school blower in my basement. I’ll have to look.

Reactions: erek
like this

These are beautiful. I rate 'em up there with the green/review FX5x00s just as ATi they are probably not as coveted.

I actually like the sheer ATI fan shrouds. I liked seeing all the copper and fan blades. Always wished my x1800XT had them.

The only real ugly thing I ever owned was the Foxconn x38A board. If you ever try running these cards, make sure it's on this board. Yuck.

View attachment 82588

Damn, Foxconn made a parts bin special. Hilarious.
When you see that little NB fan... lol

Back