ugh...I'm a n00b...

Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
5
I could build any kind of setup you could ask for, but I can't quite get how to OC a comp right. Just ruined a 3500+ tryin to do it on my own, and I'm a bit more wary about trying it this time. One reason why I need to do it now is because my A8N-SLI Deluxe detected it slow (atleast my friends said so...somethin about 1600 instead of 2000)

My setup:
A8N-SLI Deluxe (bios at 1016)
Athlon 64 3500+ Venice
1GB TCCD RAM @ 2-2-2-5 2.6v (the only thing I could figure out how to oc :p)

I just need some kind of guidance on where I should start with an OC. Just understanding the stuff is hard enough for me :D
 
well after looking at it a bit closer, i think i need to buy new ram. I wanted to get 2gb anyways, and the price that 2gb of pc4000 is nowadays is what i paid for 1 gb of this stuff.

it's great ram and all, but i want to oc. I have the room....i just need to fill it up.

but this leads me to my next dillema...i wanted to get another 6600GT with my xmas money...so now that's out if i get this...

anybody have any idea what i should try the timings at? The ram prolly could OC a bit, but i doubt it could get up to 250...bit i could try if i knew other timings....arg i stink at this :D...

i'd be testing right now, but i just had anethesia (4 wisdom teeth removed :p) and it took me like 40mins just to type this LOL

some1 gimme some timings to look at on paper while I lay down...pls? for xmas? lol
 
matt00926 said:
its pretty hard to ruin a chip by overclocking...

u talkin about the ram i want to oc, or the dead 3500+ sitting in my drawer? believe me...it's nasty...lol

i was thinking about the following:
250fsb with 10x multi and voltage raised a bit (not sure where tho)
DDR 500 2.5-3-3-8-1T @ 2.8 (stock is DDR400 2-2-2-5-1T @2.6, and ram is rated up to 2.8)

again, i'll be able to test some timings once i get back to my comp and these darn pain pills start working. i'm trying to get stronger meds right now, because 1 perkoset is doing nothing more than what 2 advil does for my removed wisdom teeth (doctor prolly messed somethin up w/ my gd nerves :mad: ). Right now, my mom (being a crazy nurse) won't let me upstairs....so i'm on the ancient 450mhz Dell p3...and I can only OC it 1mhz :p. Any1 else have any recommendations for timings on my 3500+?

btw, I chose those timings for the ram because (for some odd reason), when I tried to oc my cpu before, it gave me those timings (except with 2T) as the 'auto' ones. When i bumped em back down to 2-2-2-5-1T and accidentally messed up my fsb calc by .8ghz, the cpu crapped out and i was done for like 3 months at college until i could save up enough money to get a new 3500+ without mom seeing the credit card bill. :D

also, i'm starting to have doubts on whether or not my ram is really tccd. any1 know of a good way to check? i'd assume looking at some numbers on the chips themself, but then how do i take off the pretty heatsinks?

basically this is my ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146355
i bought it right before they started getting reviews that it wasn't tccd anymore...so i'm unsure....but if it is tccd, i'll go crazy :p....so if any1 has any ideas of how to figure out....pls tell me

also...i wanted to ask...i saw one of the links saying that you need to lock the timings on your video card and stuff....i got kinda confused there on how to do that...and what they were even talking about...

ty all again...i just don't want to lose more money than I already have.... :)

btwbtw, if it isn't tccd and I can't get a good OC out of it, i might sell the stuff on ebay and use the money to get some a decent 2gb pack for like 250$...cause this stuff is at 150$ now...and i bought it back when it was 220$...
 
ahh...i'll be able to go start testing today @ 6pm...

once again, what is this pci lock nonsense and how do i do it so my system isn't all messed? some1 help please...
 
Back
Top