• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ugh i5-2500K overclocking woes

atarione

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
2,514
well at least my luck with overclocking is consistent ...and by consistent I mean CRAP


i have
I5-2500K (w/ Hyper212+)
GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
4GB Mushkin Enhanced DDR3 1333
Samsung F3
XFX6870
HVR-1250
Corsair TX650W

so I thought I had my modest~ish 42 Turbo ratio oc all stable (43 43 42 42) vcore 1.300 LLC disabled ram timings set manually and standard selected instead of turbo for the ram.


anyways after 2~ hours prime 95 crapped out


i'm testing now having changed the voltages back to auto for vcore which has the temps

65 73 76 76 after about 1.5 hours now... i'm not super stoked on the temps over 75 but then again it is the hottest time of the year. I'm crossing my fingers that prime doesn't crash this time (time will tell I guess).


the reading I did makes it sound like 4.2Ghz should be a cake walk that everyone and their retarded monkey could achieve ...but of course as usual my luck with overclocking seems to be consistently shite


so on to the point(s)?

a. assuming that the auto (134V) proves able to run prime95+ without errors / otherwise is stable am i correct in assuming these temps would pose no great threat to my new toy in the near to mid / long term

b. am I doing something wrong most of the stuff I read suggests most can simply leave most the settings at auto and just crank the turbo ratio to 45 with success.
 
Mid 70s are fine for temps. Go download IntelBurnTest, get the 2.51 version for proper Sandy Bridge support. Extract the files somewhere, then run the IntelBurnTestV2 file. When it opens, set the "Times to run" to 50. Set "Stress Level" to "Very High" (unless that uses 4GB of RAM for you, in that case, just pick "High"). Click "Start" and sit back. If that passes and the temps look OK, your OK is very likely fine.

Then just go play some games to make sure it handles variable loads without a problem.
 
oh god d*** it

just failed prime at 1hr 58 minutes with the auto vcore set.


i had previously ran prime over night with the turbo boost set at 41 so I'm running intelburn test 50 times at 41 to see if that works at least.


gawd I don't know why every thing I ever own doesn't seem to want to overclock nearly as well as folks claim theirs do (yes I realize no two are the same ..... I just ALWAYS get f*cking snake eyes on this shite)...

frustrating....


is there any point in trying 43 turbo ratio (i.e. push past 42 to see if it just doesn't like 42 for some reason?)
 
Last edited:
Easiest way to OC the i5 is to set multiplier to 45, set vcore to 1.3 and test it.

If stable, continue lowering vcore until you get 8 hours of success.

And what do you mean turbo? Are you using turbo mode to OC? Very bad idea.
 
If you always have problems, maybe there is a common denominator. Use hardware monitor and see if your rails are spiking voltage, or working near-out of spec.
 
that is a good thought ...but the problem is more like one of my ancestors p*ssed on the head of the overclocking gods or something

because for me a sorry tale of a decade of mediocre overclocking results is the sad fact. many different rigs / different PSUs (all decent) many different types of ram (mostly Corsair or Mushkin ) blah blah over half a dozen video cards.


just no matter what I seem to end up with crap for overclocking ... hopefully i will be RICH when the SB-E / Ivy bridge stuff comes out i'll get me a EE (or whatever they are going to call the $1K+ ones) and be done with it :D


I checked all the psu outputs and they are spot on i have the corsair TX650W ver1 which is a decent psu so i don't think that is it.


I'm not sure I may just need to find the indian's skull and put it back apparently :)
 
fingers crossed I decided F it and pushed passed 42 to 43 SVID went to 1.355 i'm a hour into a prime blend test now at 59 66 67 69 on the cores temp wise, cpu-z is showing 1.308V
 
well i'll be d*mned apparently it seems no guts no glory

4+ hours prime95 (blend) stable at 4.3Ghz auto vcore (1.355 in bios)


I'm going to let it run a bit longer before putting a "mission accomplished" banner on a aircraft carrier but looks pretty good to me?



Uploaded with ImageShack.us


also blah blah prime i'm thinking it if gets to 8hrs or so i'm going to hang the banner (mostly cause i'll be pretty god d*mned tired of watching the prime 95 screen by then ...or should i let it go the 24 to be sure?
 
well i'll be d*mned apparently it seems no guts no glory

4+ hours prime95 (blend) stable at 4.3Ghz auto vcore (1.355 in bios)


I'm going to let it run a bit longer before putting a "mission accomplished" banner on a aircraft carrier but looks pretty good to me?



Uploaded with ImageShack.us


also blah blah prime i'm thinking it if gets to 8hrs or so i'm going to hang the banner (mostly cause i'll be pretty god d*mned tired of watching the prime 95 screen by then ...or should i let it go the 24 to be sure?

Check it in intelburntest too.
 
yeah i ran a pass of 15 on intelburn test (very high) since my previous oc @ 4.2 had passed IBT but failed prime I just ran the shorter test on IBT first when I stop prime I will do a longer IBT pass also.
 
well i haven't hung the mission accomplished banner yet but i've ordered it from the printers :)


8+ hours prime 95 blend no errors


x50 run IBT high SUCCESS

high 75C





/knocks on wood for no random web browsing BSOD or in game BSODs
 
Just run furmark + prime95 at the same time for 30min. If it doesn't crash, you are golden.
 
Back
Top