Ugh I think I killed another motherboard!

tuffgong

[H]ard|Gawd
I had an old MSI KT4V motherboard laying around, and rather than remove an older motherboard from the case to test the MSI board, I was lazy and decided to put it on top of a static bag and short it on. The CPU fan looked like it was going to spin up a couple of times but didn't make it past 2cm of turning. Then it wouldn't do anything at all.

Is it likely that I just zapped the board altogether? I'll never try this again.

that's not suggested, though i have done the same in a rush situation with foam and a static bag. fortunately my board turned out ok afterward. next time make sure your bag is clean though. you could of had residue on it that made contact with board.
sorry to hear about your board man.

Nonsense. I run all my mobos on the foam ON TOP of the static bag, no problems. Never a problem on top of the static bag itself either.

It's still doing the "I really want to turn on but I just can't 1mm fan spin." Does it mean it's underpowered? It's Socket A and the PSU is 300w...nothing else is plugged in besides the CPU fan.

I've had the same issue once,
Make sure you have no HD's connected with Power, just Mobo.
have you tried jumping to mobo ?

Ya only the motherboard 20 pin connector is connected to the psu. Also, the power sw connector and cpu fan connector are connected.

I also tried to start it up with a screwdriver...no luck!

Actually I bought this used and this is the first time I try it out...my guess is that the CPU is f'd up. I've tried two PSUs...it's an older system so no big loss.

I REALLY hate to say this, but mention it because it's happened to me. Check your connectors. Some of the wires leading into various connectors can be shoddily soldered, if at all. I've got a bunch of 4 pin Molex I have to play with to get the attatched HD's to spin up, and one crappy connector on a large rear exhaust case fan that needs a jiggle now and then. Its a pain in the ass to have to deal with things like that, but it happens.

Thanks for the info...my guess is that the CPU is toast though...I cleaned it when it arrived and I guess I may have been too aggressive.

It's still doing the "I really want to turn on but I just can't 1mm fan spin." Does it mean it's underpowered? It's Socket A and the PSU is 300w...nothing else is plugged in besides the CPU fan.

No. This does not necessarily indicate an underpowered board. This could be a switch issue, PSU issue, or something else could be wrong.

anti stat bags are not necessarily non-conductive on the outside.

Correct.

Ya only the motherboard 20 pin connector is connected to the psu. Also, the power sw connector and cpu fan connector are connected.

I also tried to start it up with a screwdriver...no luck!

Some power supplies require a minimum load before they'll start. Also, you may simply have a short in the system somewhere. That is the most likely culprit.

Try a different power supply?

Is the CPU known to be good?

Good suggestions. On the second part the CPU is probably fine. Rarely do CPUs go bad. Out of the thousands of systems I have serviced, I've probably seen less than 10 dead CPUs.

Agree with that. Try not to power things up with the solder side touching the bag. Try using some cardboard or other non-conductive standoffs between the MB and the bag.

Also good advice.

Thanks everyone...tried your advice with two different PSU's and they both whined when powering on. My guess is that something in the motherboard is shorting and unless I can figure it out I'll have to put this board to sleep.

Back