UEFI & USB Problems (Legacy USB Support)

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
I seem to have a problem with my USB’s and the UEFI. I have a Zalman card reader that plugs into the USB header on my Asrock Z68 Extreme4 motherboard. I’d like my card reader plugged in AND for USB devices to work throughout the booting process. Currently, this isn’t happening so I will explain below.
- When ‘Legacy USB Support’ is set to ‘Enabled’ or ‘Auto’, the card reader prevents my PC from posting, and it just sits there on the Asrock splash screen. If I unplug my card reader and reboot, I can boot up fine.
- When ‘Legacy USB Support’ is set to ‘Disabled’, I cannot use my USB keyboard to access the UEFI (or any other option during startup such as boot menu).
- Currently, I have ‘Legacy USB Support’ set to ‘UEFI Setup Only’ which allows the PC to boot into Windows 7 and allows me to use my USB devices within the UEFI. However, my USB keyboard becomes unresponsive after posting and during the loading of Windows.
Why is this problematic? Well let’s say the PC shuts down unexpectedly, before Windows loads, a menu would appear asking me if I want to boot in safe mode, run system repair or start Windows. I cannot navigate this menu with my USB keyboard, I have to plug my PS/2 keyboard in for me to use the menu.

legacy USB means your O/S loaded is Win XP or W98
You have Win 7 so no boot
Legacy means O/S not HW
USB 2.0 ports will be O.K. with prior 1.0 1.1
USB 3.0 ports will be O.K. with prior 2.0 1.1 1.0
Legacy USB 3 is same prob - if you are using renessa (NEC) or ASMedia with Win 7, it will conflict. You want this disabled for P67 Z68
You left off the most important info - what KB and what year/mo it was made.
Prob about 50% of USB stuff isnt qualified
USB devices have to properly insert themselves in a "cue" during boot - some do, some cant. Wireless is even worse.
Mobo manuf cant possibly write a bios to detect all USB devices - there are too many
Card readers are also poison - $5 crappola
Always buy a USB device the year/mo you buy your mobo and from well known manuf.

My card reader is not a cheap $5. I have a mid range Zalman which in my opinion, is a good brand. You say Legacy USB means XP or Windows 98, but why would the Asrock splash screen remain static and not progress? As far as I know, the hard drive doesn't get detected this early on (because if there was no HD installed, it would go past the splash screen and then say something like 'MBR failure'.

I have enabled and disabled Legacy USB 3, but I see no affect either way. I will disable this if you think it's best. I left the most important part? My keyboard is a Microsoft Sidewinder x4, it was purchased the same year as my motherboard (so 2011)

I don't have a solution to this problem, but I'd like to pop in and say I have the same issue on my ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3. I have no idea if this is as ASRock thing or if this is a common problem across all UEFI boards. I ended up having to disable legacy usb because the computer would never boot up when my xbox controller was plugged in and sometimes wouldn't boot with just the keyboard and mouse plugged in. I guess it's time to switch to a PS/2 keyboard.

Try manually disabling all other boot options except your main drive with your OS, and have that as priority 1?

Although this might tricky to accomplish without a non usb keyboard.

For what? the keyboard? I have no USB 3 connectors at the front of my case
What I was wondering was whether you could hide the media card reader from the BIOS by putting it on the USB3 controller, unfortunately it seems that noone makes adaptors to connected devices with the USB2 internal header connector to the USB3 internal header connector.

I seem to have a problem with my USB’s and the UEFI. I have a Zalman card reader that plugs into the USB header on my Asrock Z68 Extreme4 motherboard. I’d like my card reader plugged in AND for USB devices to work throughout the booting process. Currently, this isn’t happening so I will explain below.
- When ‘Legacy USB Support’ is set to ‘Enabled’ or ‘Auto’, the card reader prevents my PC from posting, and it just sits there on the Asrock splash screen. If I unplug my card reader and reboot, I can boot up fine.

- When ‘Legacy USB Support’ is set to ‘Disabled’, I cannot use my USB keyboard to access the UEFI (or any other option during startup such as boot menu).

- Currently, I have ‘Legacy USB Support’ set to ‘UEFI Setup Only’ which allows the PC to boot into Windows 7 and allows me to use my USB devices within the UEFI. However, my USB keyboard becomes unresponsive after posting and during the loading of Windows.
Why is this problematic? Well let’s say the PC shuts down unexpectedly, before Windows loads, a menu would appear asking me if I want to boot in safe mode, run system repair or start Windows. I cannot navigate this menu with my USB keyboard, I have to plug my PS/2 keyboard in for me to use the menu.

HI. I'm having the same exact trouble. I've got Asus m5a97 Evo. Widows 7 32bit. Internal card reader works fine on a different mobo.

Hi, I have solved the problem.

Problem :
Asus m5a97 amd mobo
Alcor SD card reader not working.
When plugged in to mobo, pc won't boot.
Tried disabling/enabling legacy usb drivers - results in pc boots up, USB port on Card reader works but not card reader slots, keyboard stops working during boot or POST.

Solution:

Please don't change legacy drivers setting.
Update mobo drivers. (All of them)
Turn on your pc as normal (without card reader plugged in)
When pc is fully on, plug-in the card reader and let windows find best drivers.
(took few boot ups and plugging ins to get it working).

Happy Computing

Back