UEFI RAID configuration on Shuttle XPCs possible?

• Thread starter Deleted member 89018
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89018

Hey all.

Have a Shuttle SH87R6 here. Ran the latest BIOS update on it (2.05).

With the BIOS set to "legacy" boot mode, and the SATA config marked as "RAID", I can get into the RAID controller to set up the RAID in the usual "CTRL-I during boot" manner.

With the BIOS set to "UEFI" and SATA config as "RAID", I can't enter RAID config that way. I also don't have a way to access the controller's option ROM from the UEFI BIOS interface, at least not one I can find.

I did a bunch of googling and it seems most Intel chipset motherboards, once you enable a few settings (UEFI boot mode, SATA controller set to RAID, possibly having to set a setting in CSM somewhere), you'll either be able to access the RAID configuration from a new section of the UEFI BIOS interface that appears after a save and restart, or you'll still get the CTRL-I prompt during boot.

My suspicion is that Shuttle cheaped out on the BIOS here - the XPC systems are nice but I've seen more BIOS features on Dell laptops - and just doesn't have a way to configure the RAID at BIOS level when doing a UEFI boot.

Can anyone confirm they've seen this problem before? Or is there possibly something I'm missing?

Hey all.

Have a Shuttle SH87R6 here. Ran the latest BIOS update on it (2.05).

With the BIOS set to "legacy" boot mode, and the SATA config marked as "RAID", I can get into the RAID controller to set up the RAID in the usual "CTRL-I during boot" manner.

With the BIOS set to "UEFI" and SATA config as "RAID", I can't enter RAID config that way. I also don't have a way to access the controller's option ROM from the UEFI BIOS interface, at least not one I can find.

I did a bunch of googling and it seems most Intel chipset motherboards, once you enable a few settings (UEFI boot mode, SATA controller set to RAID, possibly having to set a setting in CSM somewhere), you'll either be able to access the RAID configuration from a new section of the UEFI BIOS interface that appears after a save and restart, or you'll still get the CTRL-I prompt during boot.

My suspicion is that Shuttle cheaped out on the BIOS here - the XPC systems are nice but I've seen more BIOS features on Dell laptops - and just doesn't have a way to configure the RAID at BIOS level when doing a UEFI boot.

Can anyone confirm they've seen this problem before? Or is there possibly something I'm missing?

I have to say that I stopped using the CTRL-I option sometime ago and didn't really notice it went missing with the introduction of UEFI BIOS's. I have been using Intel's RAID version of Rapid Storage Technology for all my RAID configuring for a number of years. Have you tried this option?

I haven't - the box is going to be a VMware ESXi learning environment for some co-workers - it was all we had available that could be set up for no cost - so I need to be able to configure the RAID at the BIOS level.

TBH, I expect the reason there isn't an option in the UEFI to configure the RAID is because Shuttle just figured everyone would run Windows on it and use Intel's utility, and if that's the case, it's a bummer that they didn't bother to include access to the RAID option ROM for anyone using not-windows.

Back