UDP Datagram - will it be dropped?

Jeepers

n00b
When UDP datagrams are received at their destination OUT OF ORDER, do they get dropped or sent up to the next layer in the order received?

UDP doesn't care what order the packets arrive in. The application is what pieces the info back together.

Killer69 said:
UDP doesn't care what order the packets arrive in. The application is what pieces the info back together.

QFT. I don't think UDP even has sequence numbers (and thus wouldn't even *know* if they were out of order) because UDP is stateless and is not reliable (your UDP datagrams may not even make it to the destination, and neither party will be the wiser unless there is some verification done at layer 7).

Fint said:
QFT. I don't even thing UDP has sequence numbers (and thus wouldn't even *know* if they were out of order) because UDP is stateless and is not reliable (your UDP datagrams may not even make it to the destination, and neither party will be the wiser unless there is some verification done at layer 7).

Right. The sender of the UDP frames just sends them and doesn't follow-up on them.

I looked it up, since I was not sure. You are correct, there are no sequence numbers for UDP.

Back