udac(gen1) upgrade

FinalAura

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey Guys

I've had a udac for a few years now but I think its starting to bite the dust. I really liked this unit because i use my KRK rokit monitors more than my headphones and the udac allowed me to switch easily between both, all with the convenience of a volume knob.

I'm looking to upgrade from this unit with a budget of $200 with the same functionality as the udac. Obviously, I'd want it to have good sq, but i'd also prefer it to have a volume knob because I don't want to be reaching behind my rokits everytime to adjust volume. I don't think the audio can be controlled through windows because no matter what I changed the volume level to with the udac, the volume was always the same.

I was looking at the schiit modi and magni combo, but it doesn't provide line outs to connect to my rokits. I also looked at the hrt streamer, but it doesn't have volume control or headphone inputs. Is the udac2 my best bet? Or maybe theres something better that I'm missing?

Thanks guys.

With your budget the choices for a new DAC are pretty low because you want line in and line out's and volume control which is normally reserved for more expensive setups.

I've seen rave reviews about : AUNE Fashion T1 for $192 on Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/Fashion-24bit...id=1366672191&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Aune+T1 Its a hybrid amp of both solid state and tube. You can find it for less on Ebay but it ships from China so a bit more risk.

Has the input/outputs you need and USB functionality up to 24/94. Comes right under your budget as well.

Check the thread on Headfi for more info : http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Godmachine is on point with that suggestion. It is in your price range and gives you the functionality you want. Also, it is a hybrid so it will certainly sound different with the addition of tubes. Upgrade? That is relative to your ears. Most folks would say it sounds warmer and more lifelike than your current dac.

Thanks, that looks like something I'll definitely look into! Price is right and it looks great too. Do you guys have any experience with this unit by any chance?

edit: just read that the volume knob doesn't control the line out, so it wouldn't control the volume on my Rokits... bummer. And I assume that I wouldn't be able to control the volume through windows either?

Last edited:
Thanks, that looks like something I'll definitely look into! Price is right and it looks great too. Do you guys have any experience with this unit by any chance?

edit: just read that the volume knob doesn't control the line out, so it wouldn't control the volume on my Rokits... bummer. And I assume that I wouldn't be able to control the volume through windows either?

You may want to considering splitting your setup since your budget is so tight. I seriously can't think of anything that will fill your needs and be of current generational offering.

I would still buy Aune T1 , if I was in the market for a DAC and wanted to keep it under $200 there really isn't going to be a better option unless you wanted a much more neutral DAC in which case I would pick something more transparent like the ODAC or Modi. Hybrid amps are all the rage right now as well and they do add a more musical quality and allow per user taste via tube selection. You get the benefits of being able to drive whatever you want with a solid state amp combined with the warmth and smooth tonality of tube sound.

As I said give some consideration into splitting your setups in two so you can be less restricted.

how does that Aune T1 compare to a e7/e9 combo (dac and amp wise, i use it to drive a pair of 650's as well as output to a ht-rc260 driving a pair of pioneer bs41's and a cheap monoprice sub)? I've been looking into replacing mine for a while.

Godmachine said:
As I said give some consideration into splitting your setups in two so you can be less restricted.

Im strongly considering purchasing the t1. I pretty much read the whole thread at head fi, haha. I do like the tube rolling aspect, though it seems hard to find tubes

How would I split this setup in two. Let's say I get the dac for now. How can I add volume control for my rokits later? Would that cost another $200?

how does that Aune T1 compare to a e7/e9 combo (dac and amp wise, i use it to drive a pair of 650's as well as output to a ht-rc260 driving a pair of pioneer bs41's and a cheap monoprice sub)? I've been looking into replacing mine for a while.

Its an upgrade all around. E9 is just a solid state amp and not a great one at that , it was king for a while due to its price range and wide availability but the Schiit Magni is king of that price range for amps now.

The Aune T1 seems to roll many great features into one very tight package. You get the option to tube roll , you get the benefits of a hybrid amp and you get a quality DAC to boot. The E7 gives you portability but if that's what you are after then it really doesn't concern the Aune T1.

I think it might be the cheapest hybrid amp I've seen for headphones as well. HD650's (I have them as well) LOVE tube amps , so especially for those headphones you may want to consider the Aune T1.

Thanks for the suggestion on the D1. Not completely sold on it though since the aune t1 seems to outclass it, although it does have a volume control..

I did some heavy research on a volume control unit (since I still dont know too much) and finally came across this unit.

http://www.amazon.com/SM-Pro-Audio-...qid=1366947629&sr=8-1&keywords=passive+preamp

Thats probably what I need for volume control with my KRK monitors and have read some solid reviews on it... I can't really find anything cheaper than that, which is unfortunate.

450 - I couldn't find any reviews on the unit you suggested, but I appreciate your help.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If your udac is dying, are you going to use onboard sound + that volume control?

I'd feel wrong going back to onboard sound, haha. The plan was to get the aune t1 and connect the volume control between my krks and the t1 dac line out

Is there a better approach?

Just wanted to update you guys that I purchased the aune t1 dac and it works great with my KRK's. Everything sounds a bit fuller and more refined, and the bass is stronger. I even splurged and purchased some grados to experience more of what this dac can offer, and I love the pairing. Both the lineout and the headphones will play at the same time if they are both connected.

Also, I can control the volume via my keyboard or via the volume taskbar icon, so I don't need an external volume control. This is on windows 8, if that makes a difference.

fsyxB5X.jpg

Back