Ubuntu server: web/print server?

tgabe213

2[H]4U
Got a spare computer at home. It's about 2 years old and isn't used anymore. I've got the OK to do whatever I feel like with it. I've never messed with linux at all, so that's why I thought ubuntu server would be nice. I'm getting into web design/development so having LAMP (linux apache mysql php) on it would be good as well. I'd like to be able to run all of the web stuff on there, so (example), I could have a client or something preview what their site would be before being public.

How would this work while doing the work on my computer (Vista Ultimate 32). Can I map the network drive on my desktop from the ubuntu server and just store the files on the server that way? What about viewing pages. Will that be the same (for php/sql)? I'm just getting into those so I might have the wrong idea.

We've also got a slightly older hp laserjet printer with parallel and usb connections. Can I hook this up to the ubuntu server and also run it as a print server to be able to print from my laptop, dads laptop, and my desktop?

Another thing I'd like to do is have a source for pictures family members can access. My mom lives 30 minutes away, and my aunt 2 hours away. I've got a lot of pictures I take, but I'm terrible with getting them developed. Can I just put the files on the server and have my router forward port 80 to the server? How would I go about them accessing the files? I'd like to just compress the pictures into a zip folder and have them download it that way.

Spare PC: Has XP home 32? Hasn't been booted in a while. Would be connected directly to router
My laptop: XP Pro 32 (wireless)
My desktop: Vista Ultimate 32 (wireless)
dads laptop: XP home 32 (i think) (wireless)
Router: linksys wrt54g
cable internet

Criticism please. Let me know any info you need.

Thanks

Ubuntu Server

Yes, http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/faq. Specifically under the section "Is Ubuntu easy to install on the server." In saying that you have "Ubuntu Server" I believe you mean that you have 6.06, in which case if you look here for instructions on how to set it up.

Don't 'have' it yet. May install tomorrow. Finals week this week with a ton of HW/studying. But I will report back when I do it.

Back