• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ubuntu Server on a bootable USB drive with persistent storage

Sgraffite

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
4,405
I'm not having any luck getting this to work. I'd like to be able to run Ubuntu Server from the flash drive. I'm using the Universal USB Installer from here.

I've tried multiple times with Ubuntu Server 11.10, and every time it I get the same results. The computer will boot to the Ubuntu menu, and I choose the top option "Run Ubuntu Server". It beeps and then shows a count down saying it will boot in 5.. 4.. 3.. etc. Then it beeps again and repeats.

Just for fun I set it up using Ubuntu Desktop 11.10, and it worked the first try. I was able to boot up, get a GUI, and open FireFox and surf to a web page.

Is there an extra step or something I need to do to get Ubuntu Server to work with this?
 
You're just booting the installer? The server version doesn't have a "live" system option, it only installs onto something else.
 
I've had issues in past with Ubuntu server wanting to be installed from /dev/cdrom0 or similar... it seems to be hardwired to look for the installer there.
 
You're just booting the installer? The server version doesn't have a "live" system option, it only installs onto something else.

Well that would probably be the reason. Other members running Ubuntu from a flash drive are using the "live" option, or is there a way to actually install an OS onto the flash drive?
 
I have never gotten Server to work with a USB drive at all, even just the installer. Why won't Desktop work for whatever you are trying to do? Why don't you just get a small SATA drive for the OS?
 
Back
Top