Ubuntu Server 16.04: how to setup my /etc/network/interface to prefer the 5ghz band?

mrjayviper

Weaksauce
so I have an Ubuntu server 16.04 box here. I'm testing using wireless connection since my cabling between the 2 house sections (where my router is and the server) is not the greatest.

My question is:

how can I set /etc/network/interface so it prefers to use the 5GHz hardware of my dual-band WiFi card?

Thanks! :)

I really don't think it's a great idea to connect a server to a network using wifi, however before anyone can help you we need to know the exact make and model of your wifi card.

I am pretty sure /etc/network/interface does not know about frequency, you probably need to set this in the wpa_supplicant.conf file. Keep in mind while 5ghz is probably faster under optimal conditions, it drops off a lot quicker once it starts needing to go through walls and such, so it might be worse off in reality.

I am pretty sure /etc/network/interface does not know about frequency, you probably need to set this in the wpa_supplicant.conf file. Keep in mind while 5ghz is probably faster under optimal conditions, it drops off a lot quicker once it starts needing to go through walls and such, so it might be worse off in reality.

Yep, 5Ghz degrades much faster. It's only good if you're really close to the access point.

Set the SSID of your 5Ghz network to a different name compared to your 2.4Ghz network and connect to the SSID of the 5Ghz network. That's the easiest way.

Having said that, if the distance is great I wouldn't be recommending the 5Ghz network.

Back