Ubuntu questions

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
Just loaded up ubuntu on my laptop again. It seems booting takes pretty long on it in my opinion, about 40 secs or so which just seems long for a computer of my calibre and a OS that's not hard on the system.

Questions:

A) Graphics card install - where can I find drivers for my 9500m GPU? I searched but can't seem to find them and I can't seem to see any drivers for the 9 series on nvidias site.

B) Computer locks up after I idle a bit. I wouldn't say it freezes but it cursor doesn't move when I use the mouse (haven't tried any other way of doing anything though).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

A) I'm not sure if nVidia has released linux drivers for the mobile 9xxx series GPU yet. GIYF on that issue.

B) Does the Caps Lock light flash by any chance? I've had this problem after installing Debian on my laptop (and Ubuntu is Debian based BTW). It turned out to be the firmware for my wireless card; an Intel 4965AGN. Downgrading the firmware helped with that issue. If you happen to use this card this would be the first route I would take.

You'll probably want a mod to move this thread to the Linux subforum for better help.

Well I did the "integrated' driver install for my GPU and it's much better. Thanks.

I have another question...

When I boot up it takes me to the screen and asks me to pick which OS to install.

Ubuntu
Ubuntu Recovery
Ubuntu Memory test

Obviously I want ubuntu but how can I set it to automatically do that so I can lower my load times.

I assume you mean which to start. You'll want to look at the time out setting and the default setting for grub in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Back