Ubuntu issue.

grandfatman

Limp Gawd
Hey guys. I have a previous thread relating to part of this issue http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1881293&highlight=

I have just installed Ubuntu on the harddrive no problem. I also tried a live launch using the usb. And I've got a strange loop everytime I try to login. I can't seem to get into Ubuntu. Is it likely the build? Should I try a different build of Ubuntu? Or indeed a different linux build altogether?

Here is the issue.

And a poorly attempted capture of the black screen

Did you figure out if it was a hardware issue? The previous thread you linked to hinted that it might be a hard drive issue, but I'd also do a memory test.

No I can't get in using the live usb either. And I can't confirm or deny the harddrive issue. This was a step in seeing if it was. Seems unlikely that it is now? Unless I have a dodgy build of Ubuntu. It was from a third party website I'm sure.

Well if you are booting to your live cd on the thumb drive/cd and cant get that to boot up then your installed on the hdd copy of ubuntu isnt the problem.

Just download one of these and boot off the live cd. Check the hard drive for errors and if it's ok do the install. http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

It won't hurt to download another copy/version of Ubuntu and try again.. or even another distribution.
However, I think you really need to test your hardware and rule that out first. If a component is bad, it's going to misbehave in weird ways and could be the reason your Windows install ate itself.

Grab the ultimate boot cd or whatnot and run memtest, and some HDD diagnostics - query SMART, surface scan, etc...

If everything looks good, then return to trying to get an operating system back on it.

edit: some google searching for 'samsung np305v linux' brings up some posts of it being a bit on the fidgety side to get linux running on. However, the bulk of those are from 2012 and a lot has happened since Ubuntu 11.10. I'd still expect you to get past the login screen, but you may temper expectations.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue running Mint from a usb and trying to boot into an install attempt. Turns out the program I used to make the usb was the problem.

The previous thread said that windows stopped working on that computer. Now Ubuntu fails to work. Perhaps you should start to get the idea slowly that your hardware is broken?

I had a similar issue with an already installed version of ubuntu. I would log in and it would loop back to the login screen after failing. It turned out to be bad nvidia drivers for the video card. Uninstalled them and things started working again.

You know, the video drivers sounds like it could have been the problem, before the windows install ate itself, it was asking me to update them, but i didnt. (its amd graphics anyway) but still. Also, i just tried the bootable USB build of ubuntu on a different laptop and it worked. So it's either not got the drivers for my laptop, or the laptop is kerplunked. But, surely if the hardware (ram etc) was knackered, then i wouldnt even have gotten to the logon screen?

Im in the process of getting ultimate boot and running some diagnostics. Hopefully have more insight then.

Back