Ubuntu fails to display....?

no7fish

n00b
I am guessing it's a driver issue and Leadtek do not appear to support any drivers for Ubuntu.

I installed Ubuntu on one machine and then moved the drive to another (because of the Pata drive issue...) and it will boot almost completely and then the screen shows a message about cannot display.

Are there special Linux drivers for Nvidia cards? it's a 7300GS BTW. Is there something I can install before transferring the drive or is there some way I can boot it into a simple graphics mode? It shows the loading screen fine.

Thanks guys!

I tried it again and one second thought it looks more like a monitor issue than an OS issue... It says "1: D-sub, Can Not Display This Mode"
Any thoughts??

It works in DVI apparently. I'm running 2 machines on one monitor so I had the ubuntu machine on vga. I guess the 65hz setting is throwing it off since my windows settings are all 59 - 60 hz.

edit- so I have tried every resolution with all different refresh rates and to no avail, I still cannot get Ubuntu to function using the VGA input on the monitor... Any help guys?

It works in DVI apparently. I'm running 2 machines on one monitor so I had the ubuntu machine on vga. I guess the 65hz setting is throwing it off since my windows settings are all 59 - 60 hz.

edit- so I have tried every resolution with all different refresh rates and to no avail, I still cannot get Ubuntu to function using the VGA input on the monitor... Any help guys?

boot.

Ctrl-alt-f2 to bring up a text console.

what's yuor /etc/X11/xorg.conf file say? cat it, looking for display sections and driver sections. Might also need to do apt-get install nvidia-glx as root

ok so xserver comes up as a blue screen telling you it could start right, then you should get a login prompt if not try press ctrl+alt+F2, log in

if you have the nivida driver installed already ( if not just, sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx) then enter
Code:
sudo nvidia-xconfig

then this should create a new xorg.conf file, so make sure you have the right monitor, and stuff hooked up, so now....simply, do this,
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

and you should get the graphical login screen.

Nope, not even a start up screen. I don't think this is an issue where the box isn't outputting anything, it just seems to be driving the screen wrong, like the screen doesn't like the output. The note of "cannot display this mode" is a screen error. I can get it to work using the DVI output to the DVI on the monitor but a DVI converter to VGA will not work and a straight VGA will not work. If this were my only maching that would be fine but I'm running 2 machines and this one is not my primary. I do all of my CAD work on the other one so it really needs to be the DVI machine....

Thanks

Nope, not even a start up screen. I don't think this is an issue where the box isn't outputting anything, it just seems to be driving the screen wrong, like the screen doesn't like the output. The note of "cannot display this mode" is a screen error. I can get it to work using the DVI output to the DVI on the monitor but a DVI converter to VGA will not work and a straight VGA will not work. If this were my only maching that would be fine but I'm running 2 machines and this one is not my primary. I do all of my CAD work on the other one so it really needs to be the DVI machine....

Thanks

sounds like a mode issue. easiest answer is to reinstall, in the exact config it's in when running

Thanks

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
pick the defaults

then;
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
sudo nvidia-xconfig

see if that helps.

Back