Ubuntu and Plex again

DogsofJune

Supreme [H]ardness
I had issues when I installed Plex with 18.04, but I eventually got it resolved and all has been happy till recently.
I updated to 19.10 and all worked till Friday. It popped up, said there were updates to Ubuntu, I clicked install, then it said it needed a restart to happen.

That was it. No boot. Grub issue. So I go to recover, reinstall, cuss profusely, and try what I know to salvage the situation.
I thought at first the SSD that the OS was on my be the culprit. I couldn't reinstall 19.10 without it ending in a fatal error.
There for a bit it wouldn't even delete the partition.

I finally went for the minimalist install and it took. I reinstalled plex, set up the libraries, waited for the libraries to get scanned, but outside devices would see the server, (ipad, Pixel 3 on same network) but wouldn't see movies, shows or music.

So, more updating happens, restart and the plex message is "No soup for you" I, logged in as the Admin, do not have access to this server.......

It's like it's treating it as if it's not a local server. I dunno. About to throw Eby back on it.

It loses the libraries, the server, and it useless locally and from abroad.

I'm off to do research on the plex forums, after I get beer.

Why did you update your Plex server to a non LTS release? Or is this a Plex client?

Non LTS releases just aren't worth it. At best they're supported for ~10 months and then all support is dropped including developer/PPA support for the next non LTS release if developers support it at all. Best to stick to an LTS release, kernels are fully updated every second point release and they're actually supported for a realistic period of time.

Meh, it was working with 19.10, then did a security update and shit the bed. I figured since it worked before it should work again.

But no. It'll go back to the LTS version. At least till I setup a new Plex box of horrors.

Or a new Linux gaming box of terrors. Whichever suits the heat of whichever moment.

I know, I know, don't tinker with the Plex server box and get mad cuz it's d-e-d.

Had issues with Emby as well.

It actually sounds like the security update shat the bed if you can't log into the profile?

Wow that sucks. Like Mazz said though anything like a Plex should stay on an LTS for pure stability. I ran my Plex on 16.04 and then rebuilt it to 18.04 and it's been a rock both times.

How exactly do you have it setup? Mine is headless using an older Dell Optiplex 360 with a Probox Mediasonic 4 bay drive enclosure. 18.04 LTS for the system on a an SSD. The Probox was put together using Snapraid and Mergerfs so that Plex sees everything as a single mount point from fstab. Like I said it's bee a rock.

Wow that sucks. Like Mazz said though anything like a Plex should stay on an LTS for pure stability. I ran my Plex on 16.04 and then rebuilt it to 18.04 and it's been a rock both times.

How exactly do you have it setup? Mine is headless using an older Dell Optiplex 360 with a Probox Mediasonic 4 bay drive enclosure. 18.04 LTS for the system on a an SSD. The Probox was put together using Snapraid and Mergerfs so that Plex sees everything as a single mount point from fstab. Like I said it's bee a rock.

I'm still on 16.04, can't really see any reason to upgrade considering it's still supported...

I'm still on 16.04, can't really see any reason to upgrade considering it's still supported...

Agreed. I probably won't be upgrading my 18.04 unit for awhile. Only reason I moved on from 16.04 was the Probox enclosure addition and move to Snapraid. Although the ZFS support on 20.04 may tempt me. I think Snapraid is still the better solution for my purposes but we'll see.

(Sigh)

IMG_20191118_061235.jpg

Can you run GParted and 'clean' the SSD?

Or if possible, put it in a Windows box, and use the diskpart.exe function to clean it. Sounds backwards, but it works.

Then do a slow format of it or a secure erase.

Then try again with 18.04.3.

Coming into this late, and this may not be the case for you, but I also had some oddness when I had to reinstall Plex when I was trying the different DEs for Ubuntu. All of my clients acted like the server was offline (i.e. it showed up but no shows/music/etc showed up for it). I ended up finding that the clients were pointing at the "original server install", and even though I set PLEX back up on the same PC, with the same name, etc... it showed up as a different PLEX server that i had to change the client to point to.

If you open PLEX on the local machine, and it loads the server fine, but other devices continue to give issue, I would look and make sure that you dont have any other PLEX servers hiding out there.

Coming into this late, and this may not be the case for you, but I also had some oddness when I had to reinstall Plex when I was trying the different DEs for Ubuntu. All of my clients acted like the server was offline (i.e. it showed up but no shows/music/etc showed up for it). I ended up finding that the clients were pointing at the "original server install", and even though I set PLEX back up on the same PC, with the same name, etc... it showed up as a different PLEX server that i had to change the client to point to.

If you open PLEX on the local machine, and it loads the server fine, but other devices continue to give issue, I would look and make sure that you dont have any other PLEX servers hiding out there.
That was indeed some of the issues I ran into with 19.10. it was there, but not.

I intend to unhook all but the one drive for the OS. I can run gparted and clean the SSD.

Then, round three

That was indeed some of the issues I ran into with 19.10. it was there, but not.

I intend to unhook all but the one drive for the OS. I can run gparted and clean the SSD.

Then, round three
Once you get everything reinstalled and set up, just make sure that you go into the clients and check if it is showing the PLEX server as online. If not, then the client is still looking at the old install/library, and you will need to add the new one. You are probably best removing the old server from all of the clients and then adding the new one back once you finish the install.

Installs, gets to the login screen, super choppy. Enter password, screen goes blank and then back to login screen.

Round six. Removed Samsung SSD and replaced with WD Black 320 gig.

Whiskey is to be consumed before this gets put on Craigslist....

I've found that whenever a Linux installs it's boot loader "wherever it pleases" it's actually following whatever the first boot drive is set to in the BIOS.

I've found that whenever a Linux installs it's boot loader "wherever it pleases" it's actually following whatever the first boot drive is set to in the BIOS.
Windows installs the bootloader and partitions literally where ever it pleases, linux asks where the user would like them to be installed. At least it does in the minimal install mode. The GUI version is dumbed down.

Quitter. This error may simply be from trying to install in EFI mode and lacking the correct partition. Switch to legacy bios mode.
I thought that too. It wasn't the issue. Despite working perfectly for almost a year, Ubuntu will not install again.

So far, the Nvidia driver is installed, both monitors work. It boots without cussing.

Now, if Plex installs and works as it should, most all will be pleased

So far, the Nvidia driver is installed, both monitors work. It boots without cussing.

Now, if Plex installs and works as it should, most all will be pleased

This is on Windows right? Out of curiosity do you have more than 1 drive in your system? If yes, which drive is set as the 1st boot drive in BIOS and is that the same one you installed Windows on. Likewise, was that the same drive you tried installing Linux on?

Windows installs the bootloader and partitions literally where ever it pleases, linux asks where the user would like them to be installed. At least it does in the minimal install mode. The GUI version is dumbed down.

I can back this up as this is my finding also. I found it out purely by accident when I removed my storage drive only to find Windows wouldn't boot. Funny thing is: The storage drive wasn't even present when I installed Windows in the first place.

If this is a server, why does it need a GUI?

I hate Plex, refuse to use it. Kodi all the way with simple NFS shares.

I thought that too. It wasn't the issue. Despite working perfectly for almost a year, Ubuntu will not install again.
Then just clear the partitions and start over. At least I have never run into a situation where I couldn't reinstall an OS unless you have complications such as attempting to dual boot Windows. Then things can get very messy. Just avoid Windows completely on your server - you don't need it for anything.

I wondered the same. Maybe he's used to Windows. In linux server installs are best and easiest to do as headless installations where you omit installing the desktop alltogether and use simple command line inputs to install and configure the services.

Then just clear the partitions and start over. At least I have never run into a situation where I couldn't reinstall an OS unless you have complications such as attempting to dual boot Windows. Then things can get very messy. Just avoid Windows completely on your server - you don't need it for anything.

I assumed dual boot and GRUB issues? If the OP isn't dual booting than I really can't see how a delete partitions and reformat/reinstall wouldn't work?

I wondered the same. Maybe he's used to Windows. In linux server installs are best and easiest to do as headless installations where you omit installing the desktop alltogether and use simple command line inputs to install and configure the services.

Apart from anything, it's far easier managing a server via SSH than VNC and a GUI desktop? Although, granted the OP could be used to Windows.

I assumed dual boot and GRUB issues? If the OP isn't dual booting than I really can't see how a delete partitions and reformat/reinstall wouldn't work?

Must be something like that because I can't think of any situation where his install would fail after resetting the storage.

Nope, no dual boot. It's a pure linux box, and has been for about a year now, but I do have Windows boxes not listed in sig.

So, Pop OS installs, but refuses to scan the Plex ibraries. I'm thinking an ownership issue? I dunno, I'll find out after work today. Chmod that bitch perhaps.

If this doesn't work, then I guess I will re-set up Plex on a Nuc with Win 10 and call it a day. Then this can just stay a Linux gaming box

If this is a server, why does it need a GUI?.
Desktop running Plex server. Ubuntu server never installed on this box so I went the desktop route

I can back this up as this is my finding also. I found it out purely by accident when I removed my storage drive only to find Windows wouldn't boot. Funny thing is: The storage drive wasn't even present when I installed Windows in the first place.

I hate Plex, refuse to use it. Kodi all the way with simple NFS shares.
So why do you like Kodi better?
I just downloaded Kodi last night to one of my laptops to play around with. I like PLEX for my movie library, but wanted to try out Kodi for sharing some of my other junk that I don't want to have to wade through when I am playing movies (i.e. SW:Rebels episodes and other cheesy videos or TV show episodes that I have collected over the years) . I have yet to do much beyond set it up, but I am curious to see what it has to offer.

LOL try installing Windows with 3-4 hard drives/SSDs plugged in and let's get back to you.

I have 3x NVME drives and 4x Sata SSDs and it always installs the bootloader on the 1st boot drive set in BIOS. Like during install it'll literally tell and show you where the bootloader and efi partition is going to be. If this isn't what you experienced then this is a problem with your settings. Linux installs will do the exact same thing if you're using the GUI installer across multiple distros. IE. Install the bootloader on whatever is the first boot drive set in BIOS.

Nope, no dual boot. It's a pure linux box, and has been for about a year now, but I do have Windows boxes not listed in sig.

So, Pop OS installs, but refuses to scan the Plex ibraries. I'm thinking an ownership issue? I dunno, I'll find out after work today. Chmod that bitch perhaps.

If this doesn't work, then I guess I will re-set up Plex on a Nuc with Win 10 and call it a day. Then this can just stay a Linux gaming box

Desktop running Plex server. Ubuntu server never installed on this box so I went the desktop route
OK, so you have an SSD for the OS. You have other physical drives (sdb/sdc?). One of the other physical drives is where your folder is with the movies/other files that are your PLEX library.
Is that correct?
Can you confirm if your other drives are actually being mounted by the OS?
Are you installing Plex as a snap or straight from the repository?
For my ubuntu server, i now keep a backed up fstab file where i have all my mounts set up (i use UUIDs to be safe), which has helped get things back up and running quickly.

I would unplug the other drives and first try to figure out why the OS install keeps getting borked. Once the OS is installed and stable, i would then connect the other drives back. If adding them back starts causing issues again, i would backup all of the files however you can and re-partition/wipe the drive, then add the files back to it.

Also, for those who ask why a server needs a GUI, it gets really messy trying to configure PLEX without a GUI/DE. Yes it is possible, but it is just a bit of a pain. For me, it was easier just to throw XFCE on it. Also note that he said he would be using it for gaming as well, which is also much easier with a GUI/DE installed.

OK, so you have an SSD for the OS. You have other physical drives (sdb/sdc?). One of the other physical drives is where your folder is with the movies/other files that are your PLEX library.
Is that correct?
Can you confirm if your other drives are actually being mounted by the OS?
Are you installing Plex as a snap or straight from the repository?
For my ubuntu server, i now keep a backed up fstab file where i have all my mounts set up (i use UUIDs to be safe), which has helped get things back up and running quickly.

I would unplug the other drives and first try to figure out why the OS install keeps getting borked. Once the OS is installed and stable, i would then connect the other drives back. If adding them back starts causing issues again, i would backup all of the files however you can and re-partition/wipe the drive, then add the files back to it.
Yes there is an SSD for the OS. It was cleaned, checked and formatted prior to install. During the OS install phase the 3 WD reds are disconnected leaving only one drive attached, besides the USB DVD for the install disc. The WD reds have all the media. I have set them to automount on startup, and have verified they are mounted.

Plex is installed as a snap. Anytime I pointed at a repository, I got an error. I would rather go that route if it worked for me reliably.

Right now the SSD has Pop OS 18.04 LTS on it, and it seems stable, I have reconnected the three WD Reds, and verified they are mounted as stated above. Pointed Plex at the appropriate folders. The drive is seen, but fails to scan the folders and populate a library. All folders are empty as far as Plex is concerned

Yes there is an SSD for the OS. It was cleaned, checked and formatted prior to install. During the OS install phase the 3 WD reds are disconnected leaving only one drive attached, besides the USB DVD for the install disc. The WD reds have all the media. I have set them to automount on startup, and have verified they are mounted.

Plex is installed as a snap. Anytime I pointed at a repository, I got an error. I would rather go that route if it worked for me reliably.

Right now the SSD has Pop OS 18.04 LTS on it, and it seems stable, I have reconnected the three WD Reds, and verified they are mounted as stated above. Pointed Plex at the appropriate folders. The drive is seen, but fails to scan the folders and populate a library. All folders are empty as far as Plex is concerned

Were the drives connected when you installed PLEX?
I have never had to do it, but I know that PLEX uses a "plex" user account for all the activities. It sounds like the plex user does not have permissions to the folders on the device. That said, the one time i was having issues and was told to see if the plex user had permissions, i could not find the plex user in the list of users. I would still check on that and possibly do the chmod (like you mentioned above) for that plex user.

Yeah the drives were connected before the Plex install. I'll look at the permissions when I get back to it. I'm thinking that may be the issue of why Plex cannot add anything to the library.
Otherwise, a windows box is going to start serving Plex duty and I will just save this Linux box for gaming and internet stuff

Apart from anything, it's far easier managing a server via SSH than VNC and a GUI desktop? Although, granted the OP could be used to Windows.

I always prefer the 'host' OS to have a GUI available. May set the system to boot to terminal after setup, but I want it available even if I use SSH most of the time.

LOL try installing Windows with 3-4 hard drives/SSDs plugged in and let's get back to you.

They both suck.

I've yet to have a Linux install bar Arch actually put the bootloader where it says its going to during install if that volume is not the one listed as the first boot device in the BIOS. Annoying as hell.

I've yet to have a Linux install bar Arch actually put the bootloader where it says its going to during install if that volume is not the one listed as the first boot device in the BIOS. Annoying as hell.

Isn't that exactly where you'd want the bootloader?

Back