Ubuntu, Alsa and SPDIF?

I have searched the hell out of this and it probably doesn't help that Ubuntu is the only instance of open source linux I've ever used.

I have a sound blaster live card that uses the supported emu chipset. However, I cannot get any media player in ubuntu to give me ac3 and dts passthrough, nor bit-perfect playback.
This card has a dual function jack to support either digital or analog output, and while there is an analog/digital switch in the alsamixer, there is nothing related to IEC958.

Is spdif broken, is my card incompatible or is there a fix?

with my (onboard) digital audio, via coax spidf, I have to unmute the IEC958 chip and turn up the volume on master, pcm and the '958 slider.

run 'amixer scontrols' and paste whatcha get.

If I have the live card in with the onboard sound set to auto, I get nothing related to IEC958 in the alsamixer. If I have the onboard sound forced on, my live card disappears and the onboard IEC958 shows up, but it doesn't work no matter where the sliders are. If I have the onboard sound forced off, nothing shows up.

-desktop:~$ aplay -L
front:CARD=Live,DEV=0
Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Live,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Live,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Live,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Live,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
iec958:CARD=Live,DEV=0
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

bumpy?
the amixer scontrols don't show anythinc related to IEC958. aplay -L is the only thing that does.

Back