Ubuntu 9.10 is out

I tried doing the "Distribution Upgrade" through Synaptic and it failed, couldn't pull the files through Aptitude apparently.

I'll give it some time and try again, figure the public mirrors are getting hammered.

I tried doing the "Distribution Upgrade" through Synaptic and it failed, couldn't pull the files through Aptitude apparently.

I'll give it some time and try again, figure the public mirrors are getting hammered.

Today? Doubt it, I've been able to get stuff from them for a few days now without issues (maxing out my connection). It may be a local issue... what exactly does it say? Another way to do it is manually change your /etc/apt/sources.list to the new version then update/upgrade/dist-upgrade (to make it as painless as possible).

Today? Doubt it, I've been able to get stuff from them for a few days now without issues (maxing out my connection). It may be a local issue... what exactly does it say? Another way to do it is manually change your /etc/apt/sources.list to the new version then update/upgrade/dist-upgrade (to make it as painless as possible).

Last week, Wednesday I believe. I didn't copy down the exact error, something about not being able to get the updated software packages. It rolled everything back so I still had a functional system.

I recommend you never do an upgrade. Yes Ubuntu and many others have made it easy to upgrade but I highly recommend you just backup all your data to DVD or a USB flash drive and reinstall with a 9.10 disk. You open yourself up for a world or strange configuration issues and bugs when you upgrade. It's just not worth the time and frustration it takes to do a fresh clean install on your machine. Good luck.

Sounds like the ubuntu installer is another thing that shouldn't have made it out of beta, not if you can't even trust it to upgrade a previous install...

Sounds like the ubuntu installer is another thing that shouldn't have made it out of beta, not if you can't even trust it to upgrade a previous install...

You don't do upgrades with the installer. They're in-place using the package management system.

And it generally works well. If issues crop up they are usually due to user customized configuration files that don't work with the newer version of the software.

You guys using the Wubi installation, how do you like it?
I was going to run it VMWare, but if the Wubi will work just as well, I'll go that route.

If anyone notices Adobe flash acting strange, you have to completely turn off all Desktop Effects.

I actually ran into that today. Youtube vids looked great, but chopped up horribly on full screen. Sometimes the play/pause buttons would just stop completely, or would go black all together.

I have only upgraded to 9.10 at work (where I've had the same box since 7.04, constantly upgrading).

No real issues, but don't see enough new to bother with an upgrade at home.

Last edited:
I have clean installs on my Asus 1005HAB and a new Athlon II X4 system I just built. Both have been pretty much rock solid. I had it installed on another system right at release time, and had a ton of issues getting updates. Server load is definitely an issue for them. Bad and good at the same time. Good because it means a LOT of people are using Ubuntu, bad because they are probably getting frustrated.

Bad and good at the same time. Good because it means a LOT of people are using Ubuntu, bad because they are probably getting frustrated.

Pick a better mirror ;-)

I've never had any availability issues with mirror.peer1.net or mirrors.kernel.org, and come to think of it I haven't really had any major issues with the us.archive.ubuntu.com round-robin either. What mirrors are you using?

Pick a better mirror ;-)

I've never had any availability issues with mirror.peer1.net or mirrors.kernel.org, and come to think of it I haven't really had any major issues with the us.archive.ubuntu.com round-robin either. What mirrors are you using?

I would have to look, and it was only right on release day/the day after. I've used the default sources since and not had a problem. Just commenting that most people who wouldn't know to change the sources and use mirrors would have issues-which is both good and bad for the reasons stated above.

I just did a fresh install and I'm definitely having problems with the us.archive.ubuntu.com mirrors.

It will show download rate as "unknown" and hang, then it sporadically spikes up to 100 KB-500 KB a sec, then it hangs again.

I haven't been able to do much in it since installing it because I've been waiting for quite some time on these updates.

I haven't been able to do much in it since installing it because I've been waiting for quite some time on these updates.

Funny. Perhaps they're anycasted and the mirrors in your regions are unstable or something, mine are working fine.

Anyway, just open up /etc/apt/sources.list and change all instances of us.archive.ubuntu.com to some other Ubuntu mirror. I'm on the west coast and mirror.peer1.net works fantastic for me, they're very well connected. mirrors.kernel.org works well for me too and ISC is probably better connected to the Internet than anyone.

I chose the anl.gov mirror, which has a 30 GB pipe, and was still having problems. I thought my ISP was having problems but I tried running a wire to my router instead of using wireless and I'm flying now. 9.04 didn't give me grief with wireless so I wonder if I need to grab a different wireless driver.

Regardless, the mirror suggestion worked!

Pretty UI changes. Pity its even buggier than 9.04, though UNB 9.10 seems to be the most positive note so far in this cycle of releases.

If any of you Ubuntu followers out there get bored with it, I encourage you to give Fedora 12 a try.

If any of you Ubuntu followers out there get bored with it, I encourage you to give Fedora 12 a try.

I used Fedora 10 for a while and went back to Ubuntu.

I don't like Linux distros that come out on DVD. There's just waaaay too much stuff in there. The first thing I did after installing Ubuntu was get rid of every piece of software that I had not intention of ever using. Fedora and OpenSUSE especially come preloaded with a ton of bloat.

Back