Ubuntu 8.04 res. issue

illuminate

[H]ard|Gawd
Alrighty, im having a problem with my resolution. I just got 8.04 full donwloaded and installed. but my res was 800 x 600. I went to the screen res. thing, and it only would let me go smaller, not larger. Then, i want to "system->hardware drivers" or whatever it is, to make sure that my nvidia drivers were ok, and they were enabled. Both were ok. what could be the issue?

...you may have to set up xorg.conf with your monitor's specs manually. I bet it's linked in the Ubuntu FAQ.

Why doesn't X or the kernel use EDID/DDC by default? That's something I got "spoiled" with like a decade ago. :p

Why doesn't X or the kernel use EDID/DDC by default? That's something I got "spoiled" with like a decade ago. :p

It does actually.. but I've found it doesnt work always. Especially with nvidia cards. *grumble*

At least on my ubuntu system it tried reading it and failed, had to setup all the stuff manually. Oh well.

Hardy disables "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" which I used to use to fix the resolution.

The best solution I found is to install envyng-gtk2 ("sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk2"). It is a wizard to install the nVidia proprietary driver for you. I believe you can then set the resolution through the Screens application, but you can also try the nvidia-settings application if that doesn't work.

if you have nvidia drivers, use the utility to change the resolution

nvidia-settings

is the command I believe

sorry for resurecting this, but i need some more help. Im still new when it comes to linux.. and, im.. just.. lost. lol. cheetoz, that didnt work. sorry.

so, if someone can give me a step-by-step for fixing this problem, i would really appreciate it.

thanks!

sorry for resurecting this, but i need some more help. Im still new when it comes to linux.. and, im.. just.. lost. lol. cheetoz, that didnt work. sorry.

so, if someone can give me a step-by-step for fixing this problem, i would really appreciate it.

thanks!
try this :

/usr/share/applications

launch "Screen and Graphics"

i had the same problm and worked for me :D

Back