Ubuntu 8.04 final out today....

I heard Windows Vista is pretty neat.

That was quite informative and on topic.

Thanks for the heads up Robstar, I'll be giving it a spin as soon as I get a chance, probably this weekend. Anybody upgrade yet and have initial thoughts?

I saved 60GB of space on my new system for this. It better be good or I will take my free OS choice elsewhere. ;)

If you're having trouble fighting through the hordes of people hammering pretty much all Ubuntu mirrors right now, the Boston University LUG is providing a .torrent-only mirror that should be able to stay on its feet. We have all the torrents and the MD5SUMS in case you need them.

ftp://lug.bu.edu/pub/distro/ubuntu/

Enjoy.

got it, installs fine (but then again dell hardware has very little issues with linux distro)

ppl in my dept like the windows-install method thus leaving the harddrive layout intact as well as making easier uninstall if they don't like

If you're having trouble fighting through the hordes of people hammering pretty much all Ubuntu mirrors right now, the Boston University LUG is providing a .torrent-only mirror that should be able to stay on its feet. We have all the torrents and the MD5SUMS in case you need them.

Enjoy.

Well, vsftpd went down, let's try Apache:

http://lug.bu.edu/ubuntu/ if you want the torrents.

I've never had much faith or luck with upgrades........but has anyone here gone with the upgrade and had success??

Thanks.....

anyone try it on an eeepc yet? gonna have to recompile everything that came with the custom xubuntu install i got awhile back tho. need those fn keys to work....

anyone try it on an eeepc yet? gonna have to recompile everything that came with the custom xubuntu install i got awhile back tho. need those fn keys to work....

Try the package called "xbindkeys" for getting your fn keys to work :)

VirtualPC 2007 will never run a Linux distro completely 100% - nowhere near as well as VirtualBox (free) or VMWare can (VMWare Server is free, so is the Player, and it's easy to create VMs for the Player without requiring Server, actually). It's well known in the virtualization community that Microsoft put in some interesting limitations with VPC2007 that just make it effectively useless for *nix and derivatives like Linux distros, so... it's hardly recommended as a tool for creating VMs with those OSes. While you might get the OSes installed and functional, they'll never perform as well as they will in other software, like VirtualBox or VMWare.

For what it is, VirtualBox is superior for testing and using things like the new Ubuntu 8.04 release. VirtualBox is so small, so light on resources, and its performance is pretty much second to none, including the beast known as VMWare, which is the king of the hill with virtualization - I admit that - but it's entirely too large and too resource intensive for the majority of people just interested in learning about VMs and virtualization in the first place.

Hope this helps...

all compatibility issues should be gone in this version
the latest versions were pretty much stable to me except for a few issues
i highly recommend you to try linux it suggest so much more than windows
except for one it lacks , and that's the linux's greatest weakness , games
if you are gamer , stay away from linux , at least as for primary OS

all compatibility issues should be gone in this version
the latest versions were pretty much stable to me except for a few issues
i highly recommend you to try linux it suggest so much more than windows
except for one it lacks , and that's the linux's greatest weakness , games
if you are gamer , stay away from linux , at least as for primary OS

I dunno ;) QuakeWars is lush and HL2/CSS play well via WINE
gaming on linux ain't great but it ain't non-existant

I tried Hardy by using the Wubi method on both my PC and laptop and both times it f'd with my bios clock. Did this happen to anyone else?

Cool, I hadn't been keeping track of how many days were left until it launched. I'll probably download it sometime this weekend.

I tried Hardy by using the Wubi method on both my PC and laptop and both times it f'd with my bios clock. Did this happen to anyone else?

No....but Synergy doesn't seem to work. Three clean installs and the same results each time...

Unfortunately a deal breaker for me, I suppose I'll wait for a few updates and give it a shot then.....

I've been playing w/ the beta for a while. There was a bug report about an issue with synergy (crappy response). Had to start it as root to fix the issue. Worked perfectly after that.

The upgrade went smoothly with the exception of my nvidia 6 series onboard video not working properly. On the first boot I was asked to configure the X settings and selected my monitor and the video driver....everything tested fine; then it would boot to a default low-res "safe-mode". :(

I had to completely remove the nvidia drivers that I had installed and then re-configure X. The res came up oddly (top of screen at bottom) but I was able to use the built-in "screen-resolution" setting to change things and it all came up and looked correct.

I've been playing w/ the beta for a while. There was a bug report about an issue with synergy (crappy response). Had to start it as root to fix the issue. Worked perfectly after that.

Thanks for that.... appreciate it!!

well i dled it, torrents much faster then FTP imo, and installed it and loving it so far much better then when i last used 7.04, alot easier to use, seems faster, and ALOT less terminal usage

I installed 64 bit hearty heron this morning... so far so good, other than a flash problem with myspace: the flash player has audio but just appears as a white box on my profile. The audio player looks and works fine on band MySpaces, so it might just be an issue with firefox 3 and not ubuntu itself. I know anything 64 bit will have a few extra hurdles compared to its 32 bit brethren, and I accept that. I was thrilled that it recognized my native resolution (1680 x 1050) without any configuring and while it seemed disappointed that I wanted to install the non open source nVidia drivers, they work great. I will definitely be passing my hearty heron cd around the office.

doesn't seem much faster to me. in fact it takes longer to boot up compared to a similar gutsy install for me. i was pushing 2 minute startups last nite. did some more tweaking today and cut it down to around a minute. still too long if you ask me. :(

don't think anyone will ever be able to beat the custom xandros install on the eeepc though. just around 15 secs. lol

I installed 64 bit hearty heron this morning... so far so good, other than a flash problem with myspace: the flash player has audio but just appears as a white box on my profile. The audio player looks and works fine on band MySpaces, so it might just be an issue with firefox 3 and not ubuntu itself. I know anything 64 bit will have a few extra hurdles compared to its 32 bit brethren, and I accept that. I was thrilled that it recognized my native resolution (1680 x 1050) without any configuring and while it seemed disappointed that I wanted to install the non open source nVidia drivers, they work great. I will definitely be passing my hearty heron cd around the office.

Flash is not open source and does not have 64-bit binaries, so Flash running in a 64-bit environment is doing so using emulation or some other jank that isn't native and isn't ideal. In Gentoo, I use Firefox with nspluginwrapper and netscape-flash and it is far from perfect.

So I got Ubuntu up and running, but I have only one problem, my graphic drivers.
My laptop has a X1600, but I attempted to download drivers but they do not work. Is there any way around this, my other problem is I run a second screen plugged into the monitor and I cannot figure out how to enable it, it is just in copy mode.

Thanks.

So I got Ubuntu up and running, but I have only one problem, my graphic drivers.
My laptop has a X1600, but I attempted to download drivers but they do not work. Is there any way around this, my other problem is I run a second screen plugged into the monitor and I cannot figure out how to enable it, it is just in copy mode.

Thanks.

Which version of the driver was downloaded? AMD/ATI just released a new version that my have not hit the repository yet. And running a second screen will probably depend on you getting the driver sorted out first.

Which version of the driver was downloaded? AMD/ATI just released a new version that my have not hit the repository yet. And running a second screen will probably depend on you getting the driver sorted out first.

How do I look at what driver it is trying to force use?

Flash is not open source and does not have 64-bit binaries, so Flash running in a 64-bit environment is doing so using emulation or some other jank that isn't native and isn't ideal. In Gentoo, I use Firefox with nspluginwrapper and netscape-flash and it is far from perfect.

thnx for the info. just fyi, the MySpace player works fine now.

scrolling could be a little smoother but this is only noticeable on MySpace so its not a big deal.

When you go to download it, it should give you the version number that it is providing.

I just ran "lspci -v" (command I found to check hardware), and it is stating my X1600 is a X200. Is this just because of drivers, or another problem?

Have you enabled restricted drivers and downloaded the ATI drivers?

Not sure why lspci is listing the wrong model.

I do have that enabled, and it has downloaded and installed (I have also rebooted).
Things are running fine, just want to make sure things are running fine (though the X200 thing is worrying me).

I do have that enabled, and it has downloaded and installed (I have also rebooted).
Things are running fine, just want to make sure things are running fine (though the X200 thing is worrying me).

If things are running fine, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

If things are running fine, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Yeah things are running and no error messages, just it bothers me that this is what it reports my GPU has:

product: Radeon Xpress 200 (RS480/RS482/RX480/RX482) Chipset - Host bridge
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
version: 01
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz

Even though I have a X1600.

Back