Ubuntu 7.04 wont use bridge router

Frosteh

2[H]4U
I have a setup with a Zyxel SDSL router which is working in bridge mode, and a firewall with an internal network behind it, the firewall is setup correctly with our first available external IP.

I recently setup a stand alone box with Ubuntu 7.04 on it and connected it directly to the router, then configured this to use our 2nd available static IP through the router which it did just fine (i could browse and did a quick test with sendmail) and then left to go on holiday for a week.

After coming back it appears that the new box can only ping anything else connected to the router, it cannot ping the gateway at our ISP or anything beyond that. It's a very strange problem, I can log into the linux box from our internal network behind our first firewall, so I know the cabling is OK, I know the network card is OK it's just the settings. Apparantly no one has touched the box since I was away so I dont understand what could have changed.

I've checked and double checked settings on the Linux box, It's actually my first time using linux for anything more than the very basics, I've tried restarting the networking, I checked in the network settings file and all the basics are there, IP, Gateway, Subnet, I even added the known broadcast address by hand and no luck.

It's as if the network settings are being treated as though they're just part of a standard LAN rather than being an interface to connect to our ISP, are there any hidden settings I'm missing that aren't available in the GUI?

*edit*

I should also add that I grabbed a laptop with XP on it and used the exact same settings and even the same cable and got it working straight away, so there's no issues at our ISP's end.

Back