Ubuntu 16 dead RAID drive

Sayth

Gawd
so my ubuntu 16.04 server (added desktop GUI) will not boot.

OS on 1x 500gb drive
Raid 5 on 4x1TB (ubuntu mdadm software raid)
Raid member Seagate 7200.12 died (loud obnoxious clicking noise)

Can't boot into OS. Keeps taking me to emergency mode. I would think I should've able to at least boot the OS even though one raid member drive died? Am I wrong? How else would I rebuild the raid? Via emergency mode?

Any thoughts?

Perhaps as a virtual drive the raid array can't be mounted correctly as a result of entries in fstab?

Can you boot off the install media as a live session and make repairs from there?

Sounds a bit weird. Are you 100% sure it's not the OS drive that's clicking? You should be able to boot just normally and perhaps get a warning about the raid issue during bootup.

Any updates on this one? I'm personally very intrigued to see just what the issue is!

I just got the chance to work on it last night.

Definitely a member drive. Put it in a hard drive USB dock and as soon as it powers up, loud ticking. Serves me right for using a Seagate 7200.12 drive :(

So the members are all 1TB and all I had kicking around was a 2TB. Figured I would try.

Using the emergency console didn't work. Couldn't assemble the md0.

Booted a live CD of 16.04. Updated and upgraded. Installed mdadm.

Assembled the set in a "dirty" missing a drive state. Added the 2TB as a new member and voila!! Rebuild started.

Left it over night checked it this morning and it was done and back to clean. Took the DVD out and rebooted.

Right back to normal!! I have no idea why it wouldn't boot without the RAID set. I haven't installed anything onto it. I do have SAMBA pointing to it so maybe that? I wouldn't think so.

Who knows! It works though!

Thanks for suggestions.

Check the backblaze statistics on hdd failures. Seagate leads the pack (in a bad way) and their 3Tb drive peaked at 26% failure rate!

I just got the chance to work on it last night.

Definitely a member drive. Put it in a hard drive USB dock and as soon as it powers up, loud ticking. Serves me right for using a Seagate 7200.12 drive :(

So the members are all 1TB and all I had kicking around was a 2TB. Figured I would try.

Using the emergency console didn't work. Couldn't assemble the md0.

Booted a live CD of 16.04. Updated and upgraded. Installed mdadm.

Assembled the set in a "dirty" missing a drive state. Added the 2TB as a new member and voila!! Rebuild started.

Left it over night checked it this morning and it was done and back to clean. Took the DVD out and rebooted.

Right back to normal!! I have no idea why it wouldn't boot without the RAID set. I haven't installed anything onto it. I do have SAMBA pointing to it so maybe that? I wouldn't think so.

Who knows! It works though!

Thanks for suggestions.

If it's in /etc/fstab and won't mount with a drive missing, that was your problem :)

Back